Video card is not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a clean install of win 98 on this Dell Dimension XPS R350. It was previously running Win 2000. The video was excellent at 32 bit. Now for some reason all I can get is 16 or 2 colors. Device Mgr says the display adapter is STD PCI graphics adapter [VGA]. The card that is installed is a Diamond Multimedia inc. -- Fire GL 1000 Pro. I have the drivers for the card but I think the card is just not being recognized. If it was Id be able to install the correct drivers. Ive tried removing the adpater in Device mgr but on a reboot it just wants to install the same VGA adapter. Ive gone into system config and checked around but didnt find anything even though I dont know what Im looking for. I did the system reset with the M/B jumper and then put all the settings bac to default.
What am I doing wrong here???
Thanx

Wait why did you go from Windows 2000 back to Win 98? Does the Video Card support Win 98, does it have drivers for that OS? You get 16 to 2 colors because of the driver isn't the right one or it go corrupted. It needs to be re-installed again.. Remove the old ones then install the new one.

video card not recognized

Well its a weird story. windows 2000 was really messed up bad by the previous installer. I got the PC loaded with crap and who knows what else. Windows 2000 did not support the integrated sound. So I tried Win ME and Dell told me there were no drivers for the hardware available because the PC orginaly came with win 98 installed. So I believed them and reformatted and installed win 98 SE. After a lot more research I dis-assemled all the hardware and got all the model numbers and mfg's of the video, modem, NIC card. I did find drivers for 98 which probably would have worked with ME also. So now here I am, I got the modem installed but now the video is causing this problem:
Yes the video drivers I have are specificaly for 98. Ive tried both ways, removing the device and rebooting and also "Update Drivers" but it wont except the drivers even when I lead it to there location on my HD
I bellieve it has to recognize the card first under display adapters in device mgr first. Am I right or wrong.???
I appreciate any help I can get here as this is taking a lot of my time for an old ancient PC that I promised to a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back