Video card "out of Range" of Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT 64MB PCI video card which has the Kyro chip. My KDS led monitor has no video except a box stating input is "out of range". The input is detected at 84 hrz. The monitor's range is 60 - 70 hrz.

The seller says the card is capable of a range from 60 - 85 hrz. He told me to " clear CMOS and change settings in control pannel". I don't know how to clear CMOS. Please advise. Thanks.

Your monitor cannot display the resolution or the frequency. Lower the setting to say 800x600 60hz and bump it up from there until you get the messaga again.

If you are running Windows XP press F8 right before the Windows screen would come up. Boot into VGA Mode, then you can set it to what your monitor can handle. This probably works for Windows 2000 as well.

Hercules video card

Thank you Mac1968 for your reply. I had forgotten about this thread. I was helping a friend with his card. We never did get it to work. He now lives in another state and the card and his computer were replaced some time ago.

I don't know what caused it, but I suspect it was a few programs I might have installed the day before. Everything worked fine until I shut down the computer, and then the next day my screen did not look right, the resolution had changed.

I tried to set it back to the lowest possible resolution (this monitors default) and it said "out of range" I tried re-installing the driver for it, it said "failed to install driver"

On the best quality I could get, when browsing files or web sites, the screen would flicker like it refreshed instead of scrolled. and it did the same on the lowest resolution too, 16 bit was ok, but on 32 bit it flickered, and I was not going back to 16 bit resolution and especially not without the higher resolution for what I do.

I thought my motherboard or video card might have been fried and was not supporting the driver anymore.

Microsofts website said to reboot into safe mode and do this and that... that did not work.

and then.....

Solution:
I did a system restore to the previous weeks settings... wulah, it's back to normal!

It's as easy as that! I hope this helps if you ever have this problem!

Note If you change the video refresh rate to a setting that is not supported by the monitor, you can damage the monitor. See the documentation for the monitor or contact the manufacturer of the monitor to determine compatible refresh rates
before you change the default refresh rate setting for your video adapter.

To determine a refresh rate setting that is supported by both your video adapter and the monitor, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
b. Double-click Display.
c. On the Settings tab, click Advanced or Advanced Properties.
d. On the Monitor tab, make sure that the monitor is selected. If an incorrect monitor is selected, or if a standard or unknown monitor is selected, click Change, click the manufacturer and model of the monitor, and then click OK.
e. On the Adapter tab, click the Refresh Rate box.

1. Click Start, click Run, type dxdiag.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. On the More Help tab, click Override.
3. Click Override Value, type a refresh rate setting in the Override Value box that is supported by both your video adapter and the monitor, and then click OK. Try one value at a time.
Note Typical values are 60, 62, 72, and 75.
4. Click Exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back