video card problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

tn_joeysome

hello all,
i recently purchased an ATI X1550 card for my dell e310. i installed it and turned the pc on and then installed all the new drivers and stuff. then, after i restart the computer, the screen is black, after it loads the windows. what should i do?

Press F8 before the Windows splash screen (where it says XP or whatever) and that will bring up a menu where you have options such as safe mode. On that menu choose VGA mode. Then once in Windows uninstall your video card drivers and then re-download the proper ones. Don't use the same one you just tried because it apparently didn't work, and this will force you to make sure you are getting the proper ones. Then install those and reboot as normal.

tn_joeysome said:
so ur saying that i need to get a new power supply too?
I was just verifying you got the correct interface and if that's the card you got. Also there are alot of different #'s. And yes you probably do, that's why your probably seeing the BSOD (black or blue screen).

Well you probably don't need a new powersupply if it worked at one point. Do what I said with the drivers and see what happens.

Just out of curiosity, check the thread out in my signature and follow step 3; and tell us how many amps you have on the +12V Rail. Also, take out the card, and boot up, and then disable the older drivers and then uninstall and then re-install the new ones :) . Good Luck :wave: !

SNGX1275 said:
Well you probably don't need a new powersupply if it worked at one point. Do what I said with the drivers and see what happens.
The OP stated he just installed the card and got a black screen.

kpo6969 - No it didn't, read it again. He installed it, started up, installed the drivers, rebooted, black screen. Sounds to me like a driver problem. Then he also said this a couple posts above yours:
yea, it did work at one point, but when i pressed f8, i didnt see any VGA mode
And in that case I'd just select safe mode and delete the drivers, then reboot letting Windows use the generic ones it has, then getting new ones and installing.

i dont know where to delete the drivers from, though. and i also dont know where to get the new drivers, cuz i have tried ATI but those are the ones that come with the cd that apparently dont work....

My appoligizies SNGX1275 if I'm incorrect. I guess I just assumed running a card with those power requirements would be an issue with a 230w psu. Ok then, let's see about the driver's then.
tn_joeysome, What OS do you have? let's assume XP home, if not you'll need to find the correct drivers from this page:

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeonx-xp.html

Un-install whatever driver's you have now (from the control panel add/remove programs and then reboot. The generic windows driver will install. Go to this link and download the driver, save it on the desktop. Close all programs and run the driver install program from the desktop, reboot if necessary. If that doesn't work then the psu can't handle it. good luck.

that 460w for $79.00 would be about as cheap and as good as u will find. two posts up from yours.

You'd be throwing your $20.00 away. You can't skimp with the psu. Your getting a better card, you need to give it the juice to do it's job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back