AMD athlon xp 2000+
1.67 Ghz
256MB RAM
80 GB Hard Drive
DVD RW
CDRW
ACER AL1912 Flat Monitor
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/ 64Pro
Philips Ultimate Edge 5.1 (which now won't work thanks to trying to install radeon**see other thread!)

I want to Install a Tyan Tachyon G9600Pro Radeon 9600 Series

these following numbers are on the board itself.
S/N TQ39629000162
L40A1K002C4

I have tried the following steps.
1. Uninstall NVIDIA RIVA TNT2
2. Install Direct X 10
3. Install latest SIS AGP drivers (GART)

Restart Computer

NOTE: When restarted the computer detected the NVIDIA RIVA Hardware and
may
have installed the software automatically, before I turned it off
again?
This is the only possible thing that could have went wrong? But I don't
know
how it found the drivers since I uninstalled it!

Turn off Computer

4. remove static from body
5. Remove all connections to the PC
6. remove static from self again to be sure
7. Remove old NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 hardware
8. Install G9600Pro Radeon 9600 Series
9. Close up computer and reattach all cables
10. Turn PC on.
11. Immediately on boot up screen things look wrong. Zeros everywhere.
12. WIndows loads up with lots of lines on the screen
13. I install the software provided from the site but windows detects
Radeon 9600 series too, anyway
14. After full installation a restart is prompted
15. I restart but this time the screen is split into two different
interference boxes of lines on the boot up screen. It then crashes when
I
attempt to log in
16. I try the boot up again. This time the screen is similar to the
zeros of
earlier. Then the screen goes blank and says no signal.Signal then
returns
and
I try to log in only for signal to leave again this time with a message
on
my monitor that the input is not compatible.
17. I restart again and the zeros are still there, the log in screen
appears, I log in, and windows starts up but still with lots of
interference
lines on the screen.
18. In the display adapter settings, I am told that the Radeon 9600
series
is working properly as is the secondary Radeon 9600 series. I only have
one
monitor plugged in. I do not intend to connect a TV and may never use S
video either?

Note: When I remove the Radeon card and replace the NVIDIA RIVA TNT2,
and
restart the PC, it is already installed and the drivers are somehow
still
there?

Can anyone help? Thanks

The Nvidia drivers are still there because you didn't uninstall them. I suspect you tried using the Device Manager instead of the Add/Remove Programs utility in the Control Panel. Using the Device Manager only disconnects (for lack of a better term) the device from the driver. As soon as you reboot the PC, Windows will reinstall the existing driver, as you have already discovered. Even if you physically remove the card, the driver is still there.

I suggest you uninstall ALL graphics card drivers found in the Add/Remove Programs, reboot, and when Windows want to search or install a new driver, just cancel and install the ATI driver.

I'll try that. Thanks. I'll report back too! The only problem is that I have heard that NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 drivers are very difficult to reinstall. SO if I run my windows xp back to yesterdays date will the soundcard and drivers for NVIDIA be back in place should your advice fail?

I cannot find anything for NVIDIA Riva TNT2 in add/remove programs? Is that weird?

Try Driver Cleaner Pro (Google for it) to remove all traces of the NVIDIA driver. If that fails to solve your problem, it can only be a bad card.

Tried Driver Cleaner Pro and removed all old nvidia drivers and all ati radeon drivers from previous installation attempts. Removed the Riva TNT2 video card and connected the Radeon 9600. Booted up and the screen had interference. Is this a bad sign. I installed the drivers for Radeon 9600 which I downloaded earlier from a tyan website, the screen continued to have interference. I checked the device manager and it said radeon 9600 working properly and radeon 9600 secondary working properly. I could barely even read them thanks to the interference. I restarted and tried an alternative driver from the same site, and the monitor started with interference and then told me no signal. Am I doing something wrong when I install the hardware? I simply plug the radeon into the slot and plug the fan into a close by slot. Anything else I need to be doing?

Could it be a dust problem or is it just not working?

Here is a picture of my Radeon 9600 with some information about the unit and below is a link to the page where I downloaded the drivers. Perhaps I downloaded the wrong drivers? Anyone know?

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgu...tyan+radeon+9600+pro&svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

I tried the first 2 xp drivers and previous posts will tell you my results. Is there a different driver for my unit. Is mie a 9600 pro and therefore needs a different driver?

http://www.tyan.com/archive/support/html/drivers_gc.html

What do you mean when you say you plug the fan in a close by slot? What fan? The fan on the card? The card has its own connector for the fan.

Anyway, the drivers at the link you provided are nearly four years old. ATI publishes a new driver every MONTH. Go here for the latest drivers. One just came out yesterday (August 13).

Be sure you uninstall any old graphics card drivers BEFORE installing a new one. It might be a good idea to review the driver installation instructions on the website page I linked to, just in case.

mailpup said:
What do you mean when you say you plug the fan in a close by slot? What fan? The fan on the card? The card has its own connector for the fan.

Yes the fan on the card has a cable with a plug on the end. I plugged it into something in my PC that looked like it was made for it. The fan seems to be working fine that way? Why is this wrong?

Thanks for your suggestions and help. I will try that tomorrow, when I have a little more time, but to be honest I am losing hope. Tyan haven't even answered any of my emails which is a shame. Could it be that the card is just broken? Or is it more likely that I am doing something wrong?

Either way, why wouldn't the older drivers work properly?

I recommend that you plug the card fan into the connector on the graphics card. The reason is that connector controls the fan speed according to the temperature of the graphics card processor. Connecting the graphics card fan to a motherboard connector bypasses the temperature sensor in the graphics card so as the GPU temperature changes, the graphics card fan speed is not adjusted accordingly. The motherboard fan connectors are used for the CPU fan, northbridge fan (if applicable) and case fans.

Regarding the drivers, I'm not promising the newer drivers will fix the problem but it's worth a try.

Card fan plug won't fit the connector on the card? But it fits the one on the motherboard just fine?

Ok, the new drivers won't work either. I end up with a screen with 5 blocks downwards across the whole thing. They are slightly off in sync with each other and each block has lots of white interference lines all the way down. I just want to throw this redeon 9600 pro out the window now. All I want to do is have a good video card. Is that too much to ask.

Does anyone know if there's a cheapish external graphics or video card cos I am sick to death of opening and closing my PC and removing cards all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back