Video Card Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

whtddusy516

Me and my friend were in a heated debate over which card would be better [it got pretty intense haha]. His brother asked him for advice on what card to update to and he came to me. Currently his brother has a FX5200 128mb card, and is trying to play Warhammer:Mark of Chaos. He had suggested buying a XFX FX5200 256mb card because he thinks that having the larger memory would help. I found another substitute within seconds, a BFG Geforce 6600GT OC 128mb card. He shot the idea down saying that since it has lower memory it would not help him with all, then I pointed out everything else about it. The core clock is twice as fast [250mhz vs 520mhz], its GDDR3 [unlike DDR on the other], 128-bit memory bus [not sure what the other card was, but its bandwith was 6.4Gb] and the shader model 3.0.

After all this, he still insisted that the FX5200 was better.
So who was right? If I was, I'll try and convince him again to spend an extra $5 to get the card I suggested and save him from the frustration of returning and/or not getting what he expected. He has a tendency to buy before researching other options.

Thanks,
AJ

It's an AGP actually, and thank you for responding. He never believes me, and most of the time in our arguments im right 90% of the time haha. He likes to look at numbers, especially with processors. He said he would rather buy a AMD Athlon64 3000+ than a Core2 Duo that was clocked at 1.8Ghz because he thinks its weak.

He doesn't do his fair share of research
xD

this is the card
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2884779&CatId=318

Nice card for the price. Will his psu handle the load of a new card?

Let you friend get the 3000+ and you can pawn him with any core 2 duo! I used to advocate AMD because they were the 'little guy' but now I say go with the best.

Haha no hes not looking into upgrading his system for awhile, I actually helped him build his [he found out I built mine and just HAD to build his right away, so he made me get the parts for him], he thought his system was better than mine, we ran 3dMark05, I beat him by 3500 haha

And I'm pretty sure it could handle it, I honestly have no idea what kind of psu his bro has, but I do know they have a lot of PSU's in their house [many of which i sold them haha].

You have to be sure, otherwise, it may blow up :unch:

And your friend really needs to do more research before saying something like that :p

The 6600 will absolutely kill the FX5200 :)

I agree with wolfram (hey dude! :wave: ). Take a look at cfitzarl's guide (attached to my signature below) on how to check the power supply during a graphics card upgrade. My save your buddies system.

Hey, 700 posts! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back