Video display problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

llno

I have a problem with my videocard display! A couple months ago my Radeon 9600 256MB video card starting having problems when playing games (WoW and BF2)

The problem that arises is that that when playing a game there will be many lines connecting different points of reference in the game. These usually connect corners and other points on the screen, like the tip of a gun, corner of buildings. It will take many different points and converge into a point as mentioned previously. The lines usually make triangles.
(ex.)
/\
//\\
//||\\
//||||\\

I've updated my ATI drivers but there is no change.

Another problem that arises, is that recently (past month) i've been getting fluorecent horizontal lines across my screens. My screens seem to flicker and then the fluorecent lines stay on the screen until I click refresh. After a few minutes of using the computer the fluorecent horizontal lines come back.

I don't think this is a problem with my monitors as there are problems in game as well.

Comp Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
2GB ram
Radeon 9600 256MB vid card
1st monitor Samsung syncmaster 710M (17")
2nd monitor Samsung Syncmaster 753DF (17")

Can you check your card temp? Also, clean all dust that could be on the card.

Good luck!

wolfram said:
Can you check your card temp? Also, clean all dust that could be on the card.

Good luck!

The temp I see on my Areogate II is around 35-36 degrees celsius. I don't think it's that high. I did clean out the dust with some Dust-off (can-o-air)

Get rid of all dust (using can of compressed air) and make sure your CPU is not overheating.

Regards,

Korrupt

These are called artifacts and usually occur when a videocard is overheating or it is not getting enough juice from the PSU. Try out by fixing those then report back.

korrupt said:
Yes, it could also be your psu.

What PSU do you have?

Regards,

Korrupt

The temp posted was the VGA temp. The CPU temp usually is around 38-40 degrees. The PSU I have is OCZ Modstream 520W (easymod cable version) I should have enough power going to my card as I haven't added any new components to my computer in the past year. It worked fine before with just as many components, so i'm thinking it's maybe the heat?

Ok now there's a new problem that occured as I turned my computer on today.

I turn it on and it starts to load windows. no problem yet. Starts to load the icons in the system tray and then the computer crashes to the "blue screen error" saying there is a problem with the ati2dvag file.

It also says that the device driver is stuck in an infinite loop, indicating an error with the hardware driver or the hardware itself. if this is the first time this error has occurred blah blah blah.

So now I'm not sure what is happening with my vid card. Maybe some damage to the card itself? It is around 3-4 yrs old.

I've kinda isolated the problem to the driver files being compatible (confused to how that can happen) to the video card itself. Even with the most updated drivers it will crash to the "blue error screen" As of now I've uninstalled all the ATI drivers and there are no "artifacts" no problems, and of course no vid card graphics.

If you can, install the drivers that came with your vga card. Even if they're old.
Also, take a look at this thread HERE, it can help you.

Good luck!

Ok.. I tried all of the above mention things. Cleaned out the whole case from dust, made sure there was no dust in the CPU heatsink and VGA heatsink. This did not work.

I tried uninstalling and cleaning the ATI drivers and reinstalling the newest drivers. I also tried reseating the video card, which also did not work. Ihave also tried doing a system restore, which, you may have guessed did not work either. PSU is definitely giving enough power to the card so no problem there either...

Could this be a wearing out of my video card? As it is 4-5 years old.

Quite possible. Have u tried using someone else's 9600 in ur PC? Try that if possible. If it works properly then it definitely is a problem with ur card. Try getting a 9600XT f possible. It's cheap and runs almost all the new games out there on full settings.

Well... I guess i'll try doing what that other post suggests. if that dosen't work... i'm guessing it's time for a new video card.

I agree. A 9600XT is a good choice. Try to get a 256MB version if possible. Or get a 128MB 6600 or 6600GT.

They´re good cards.

Well... Thanks for all the help on trying to fix my problem... But in the end I think it is the end of my Video card. None of the MANY solutions worked, so it's time to move on.

Since my video card is dead now, I have an excuse to build a new computer!! This time with PCI-E slot instead of the AGP.

Once again thanks for all the help!!

That is the best choice. PCI-E is the best option right now. PCI-E cards are even cheaper than AGP cards.

Yea.. i know. But I have to get a new mobo with PCI-E. So either way... I need to shell out some money...

An X700 and a cheap ASUS or ASROCK woudn't cost u too much money. It will give u good, reliable performance too.

If you have a socket 939 Athlon 64, and want a good, VERY reliable mobo, THIS is a good choice. It's pretty cheap, and offers good overclocking, fan control via software.
I have it and love it soooo much!
Highly recommended!

I most likely will upgrade my mobo to an ASUS AM2 socket board, with a dual core cpu. and of course PCI-E vid card... i'm thinking maybe a 7800gt?

Surprisingly enough, a 7900GT is cheaper than a 7800 on Newegg! Check out the link.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130281
I would suggest u get that. BTW, if ur upgrading to AM2, then u will need new RAM. AM2 supports only DDR2. Try this RAM and mobo out.
ASUS Socket AM2 Mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131014
OCZ Gold 2x512MB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual-Channel RAM Kit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227029
OCZ Gold 2x1GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel RAM Kit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227030

P.S. -> I've given u 2 choices of RAM kits so u can choose how much RAM u want in ur PC. There are lower latency RAM kits available too but they are about 20-30 bucks more expensive. U can get those too if u want but the ones I posted above are enough for ur system. If u want the lower latency chips, check out this link.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=147&Description=DDR2
And, buy only from Corsair, Crucial, Mushkin or OCZ from that page, if u choose to buy the faster kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back