Video Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I intend to install one (1) ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 512 MB PCI Express in my personal computer, but I'm not sure of the exact specs of the product. I'm currently using Pentium 4 and my PC has a 250-watt power supply. Just need to know if the product ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 512 MB PCI Express requires a minumum power supply for the installation. Thanks.

Just Google the card you listed and you should be directed to the site that has the specs on that card. As for the power supply, yes, I would say you need one that supplies more power.

Are you talking about the PCI-express version? AGP?
Read the reviews closely. You will not find any reliable information on power requirements. Read any video graphics site. You will not find the information. But experience shows that a 250 watt power supply will not be adequate. You will either have BSOD's or will blow your power supply.
Those reviews will tell you this is a good card for the price, which is as low as $85... but it is not competitive with nVidia units.
There simply is not a first class, competitive video graphics card that will work with a 250 Watt power supply, and the model of computer that only offers a 250 watt power supply has other serious limitations.

raybay said:
He already mentioned it as being PCI-E.
@alsarnac, as raybay said a 250W PSU will not cut it and you'd need a 350-400W PSU of good quality to run the video card properly without artifacts or BSODs.

raybay said:
Read the reviews closely. You will not find any reliable information on power requirements. Read any video graphics site. You will not find the information. But experience shows that a 250 watt power supply will not be adequate. You will either have BSOD's or will blow your power supply.
Those reviews will tell you this is a good card for the price, which is as low as $85... but it is not competitive with nVidia units.
There simply is not a first class, competitive video graphics card that will work with a 250 Watt power supply, and the model of computer that only offers a 250 watt power supply has other serious limitations.
raybay, Tiger Direct usually has the power requirements for their cards listed, that where I always check. Since it is an ATI card they do not provide that info since technically they are the origional manufacturer (AMD-ATI). Here is a Diamond of the same flavor:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1892478&CatId=1826

They say 420w but that is speculation on the high end. I got my Dell E521 from the factory with a X1300Pro that states 350w. My stock psu is 305w (22amps). I run a 8600GT XXX on it now, so it depends on how good your psu is and how many amps on the 12v it has.

Whatever is listed is pure marketing guesswork... Tiger usually stands by anything they put in print, but it is merely guesswork, and is not supported by ATI... so means nothing.

Thanks for your kind reply friendly folks. I've just decided not to install another graphics card given that I only have 250-watt power supply installed in my system. Besides there's a built-in ATI Radeon Xpress 200 in my PC. I don't intend to use my system for gaming at the moment, but I often view and edit some pictures I take with my 8 megapixel digital camera. Is ATI Radeon Xpress 200 good enough for the said purpose? (Will I get more enhancement in case I install ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 512 MB PCI Express and upgrade my power supply to say, 450 watts?)

I think the Xpress 200 will do for that purpose quite nicely and the X1600PRO will be overkill for that alone, since it's mainly a gaming video card. Editing videos is another matter entirely of course. :)

Depends on the photo editiing software, but Adobe Photo Elements, MGI 4, and Corel Paint Shop Pro 8.0 will all work fine... So I assume any software that comes with the camera will work. The usual problem comes up when you have a high resolution image that is larger than 10 1/2 X 8 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back