Video hardware error

joshieboy

Hello helpful people of TechSpot,

I'm creating this thread because my graphics card is reoccurring problem. This problem occurs on multiple occasions. I am sure loading a game (Civilization V, Starcraft 2) is causing this to occur but in the past I think running multiple applications (web browser, music application, games) has also had the same effect. This error isn't constant, I have had multiple occasions where I can load multiple apps. or a game as mentioned and have no video hardware error at all.

The only other thing I can report is before I installed my new graphics cards, (see specs below) I had another card that I swapped out. The software is still installed but I figure that doesn't effect my current graphics card. I have installed the software for my new graphics card using the CD software but I fear something may have gone awry.

My specs are:
Graphics Card:
ASUS HD7870-DC2TG-2GD5-V2 Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition
Motherboard:
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Processor:
Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz

Here is a log of my most recent hardware error:

Source
Windows

Summary
Video hardware error

Date
‎7/‎8/‎2012 9:29 PM

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:LiveKernelEvent
OS Version:6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID:1033

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20120708-2128.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

Extra information about the problem
BCCode:117
BCP1:FFFFFA800BDF04E0
BCP2:FFFFF8800431367C
BCP3:0000000000000000
BCP4:0000000000000000
OS Version:6_1_7601
Service Pack:1_0
Product:768_1

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do to fix this reoccurring problem.

In addition, a less significant question: Am I able to uninstall past video card software? I am wondering this because I have gotten rid of my older graphics card as mentioned above and I would like to uninstall the software because I no longer need it.

Thanks a ton!

Are you saying you left the software for the other Video card install.. This would mean the drivers to. If this is the case. and I am understanding you right. If so this may very well be your problem. I would uninstall the software for the old video cards software and drivers.

Go into your control panel .Once there look for program and features and click on it. You should be able to remove them from there.

I don't see my drivers in Programs and Features under Control Panel, I only see applications.

I'm sorry. I tried to do this earlier but I could not find either driver or any info on either my old graphics card or my new graphics card in my Programs and Features. Obviously my old worked and my new one works but I can't find the actual software to uninstall or even manage. I'm completely lost.

My OS is Windows 7 btw.

I am kinda loss here to. If it was a Radeon or even nivia It should have a unistall in programs and feature. For Radeon It would say Amd Catalyst installer manager. Do you see the new cards software in program and features?

Both are Radeon and I do have the AMD Catalyst installer manager. Hold on, let me check that out quickly.

Alright, so I can uninstall the old driver's software by using the AMD Catalyst Install Manager but what of my new graphics card?

If its a radeon it will have the same drivers. What I would do is uninstall these drivers That are in the computer . and then reinstall the drivers for the new card. See if this helps.

Alright, I did that and everything is fine for now. I'll repost if anything comes up. The first thing that did pop up which I'm not sure what it means is this error:

kdbsync.exe

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎8/‎13/‎2012 11:42 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path:C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD AVT\bin\kdbsync.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
Application Name:kdbsync.exe
Application Version:0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp:4f27c7d5
Fault Module Name:amdocl.dll
Fault Module Version:10.0.898.1
Fault Module Timestamp:4f3b20b8
Exception Code:40000015
Exception Offset:007739a9
OS Version:6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID:1033
Additional Information 1:6e4c
Additional Information 2:6e4cabab59d0b88c18e04baa4d0b55c8
Additional Information 3:cd6e
Additional Information 4:cd6ed94504bdc6cab71252bc6baaa0fc

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:2873002020
I have no idea what this is but it has AMD in it so I figure it might have something to do with my graphics card. Any ideas?

When did this pop up after you uninstall the other drivers or when you reinstall the drivers. Yes it has to do with video drivers. If they don't install right you will get this. The cure for it is to reinstall the drivers. If it keeps up you may need to download a program that will uninstall all the drivers. Then try reinstalling them again. You can try Driver Sweeper.

Cobalt006,
After I re-installed the drivers it came up shortly after I booted. I'll try Driver Sweeper a little later today. Does it uninstall all of my drivers or just my graphics/video drivers?

Darth Shiv,
I'll give it a try. When re-installing after I try Cobalt006's method to uninstall the drivers.

The correct way to do this would be to download the proper driver from AMD.

Then you'd uninstall the AMD Catalyst Install Manager.

Then you'd reboot into safe mode by tapping F8 as your computer just started to boot, and use Driver Sweeper to remove the remaining bits of the Catalyst software.

You'd then reboot into Windows and run the AMD driver installer you got in the first step, and you should be done.

How am I supposed to use the Driver Sweeper if Safe Mode doesn't allow me to use applications?

Also the driver sweeper I downloaded seems to have the ability to remove more than just my graphics card software. I have some options I'm not quite sure about. Should I "clean" everything that pops up or should I only select AMD software?

Also! I tried to download the latest AMD Catalyst Software Suite and when I try and run the application I get a message that says:

"Installer Integrity check has failed"

I have no idea why but it says the download may be incomplete which is impossible or the media is damaged but I'm getting it off their website...

Well as far as driver sweeper, I have never used in safe mode for the same reason you are having. The only AMD software you want to clean is the drivers for your video card. If not sure do not use it. What web site did you go to. To download the drivers?

Cool I cleaned out the drivers but the latest AMD thing is still causing me major problems. I used the link cinders provided in his post.

How is the AMD thing giving you major problems? Will the drivers still not install, or are you getting video corruption?

I have Driver Sweeper already installed on my computer, and I have had great success running the utility while in safe mode in both Windows XP and Windows 7. You are getting corrupt downloads from AMD huh. Maybe you have another issue. I'd try Memtest86+.

You would burn an ISO of Memtest86+ to a blank CD and then boot your computer into the CD and let the test run for seven complete passes assuming you didn't get any errors real quick. If after seven passes you still didn't have any memory errors, then I'd consider the memory intact. If you did get errors then you might have broken memory or your motherboard could be set up incorrectly.

Assuming you had no memory errors, I'd then find your hard drive's "fitness" utility and test the hard drive. I'd first do the short test and if there were no errors I'd then do the long test. If either test came back with errors I'd assume the hard drive was bad.

Uninstall the OLD video drivers. That's usually the second thing you do when you change video card brands.

Alright so I had a ton of errors. Around 55 or so. A majority of them showed up during the 7th test while I think the remainders should up either doing the 1st or 2nd test. Does this mean I might need to replace my ram? Is there any other way to check and confirm if it is my ram or motherboard set up?

Cobalt006: the error said, "Installer Integrity Check failed"

If you had a lot of errors Yes your ram needs .Replaced. You can try pulling out one stick at a time and testing it. This way you will know if all the ram is bad or just one stick. Cinders is right. That error is due to problems with the computer.

Back