Video: HTC readying Windows Phone 7 with 16MP camera?

Emil

Staff

A new HTC advertisement seems to suggest that HTC is readying a new Windows Phone 7 device with an unprecedented 16 megapixel camera as well as dual LED flash. This is still classified as a rumor as neither HTC nor Microsoft has announced such a device.

The video doesn't really show much else, so we don't know any other specifications for the phone. Pocketnow notes that the device pictured actually appears to be the HTC Desire S, but with Windows Phone 7 buttons instead of Android buttons. The speculation is that this might be the HTC Ignite, though the last rumor said it would come with a 5MP camera. Take a look for yourself:

It's worth noting that the video is 22 seconds long. The remaining 8 seconds would likely be used to show the name of the phone, an HTC logo, a Windows Phone logo, and even a carrier logo.

A high megapixel count does not guarantee good pictures (never buy a camera just based on how many megapixels it has) but it's still quite interesting if true. We're hoping that the camera also sports a great lens, otherwise the pictures won't be anything to write home about.

Microsoft has Chassis 1 requirements for WP7 devices, but unfortunately most of the phones currently available have only the bare minimum. This also means there is little that differentiates them. A 16MP camera would not only stand out among Windows phones (the highest is currently 8MP), but it would also set the bar high for the competition.

Permalink to story.

16MP sounds fine ... but what sensor does it have, and what optics? Without a decent sensor and a crappy lens, you can have 160MP, the images will still look crap.

And dual LED? why not Xenon flash?

...still cant beat an Nokia N8 it seems ..

Bigger number means it's better right? I'd rather have a 16 MP hassy instead.

ha! i agree mate.

rite now the nokia n8 has the best camera by far.

Well actually JudaZ 16MP does not sound fine to me.
It is borderline even on APS-C sensors in DSLR's
So how could possibly a small sensor like this get anything but an increase in noise from it?...

This megapixel battle has just gotten ridiculous
Increased MP count at the cost of everything else

+1 Per
"Quality over Quantity" would be a better option. But anyway, I never bought any smartphone considering which camera it has for obvious reasons. IMO cell phone makers should rather focus on improving performance + stability + battery life etc. these matter more than the megapixel race.

I hope that the lens would not be as huge as the nokia n8
i know its the best camera in the market but it looks ugly.

Guest said:
I hope that the lens would not be as huge as the nokia n8
i know its the best camera in the market but it looks ugly.

Then don't buy the phone! the N8 has an absolutely awesome camera for a phone and if you really want a good camera for your phone you shouldn't care what it looks like and appricate that the camera will need to be bigger than a pin hole simply so it can fit some decent optics in.

I sincerely hope that MS learn a thing or two from Nokia regarding camera dynamics and share it with other OEM partners.... quality on most WP7 camera has been crappy.

Back