Video issue: Monitor is Very, very dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay... My monitor (or the image ON my monitor) is very very dark. Dark enough that some web pages are unreadable, and areas of many games appear just black (even with the in-game brightness cranked all the way up. I have the brightness and contrast adjustments on the monitor cranked all the way up-- and that gets the general brightness/viewability in windows just to an "average" looking screen.

Setting the monitor's brightness and contrast to halfway leaves me with a black screen. :(

I found an App called the Monitor Calibration Wizard that seems to work, but it would *_seem_* that I should be able to change the brightness in either Windows 98 (sec. ed. with all the patches Mr. Bill has issued), DirectX 8.1, or my video card (GeForce2 MX 400). It's worth noting that the Monitor (ProView 17") was dark with my old video card as well.

H-H-H-E-E-E-L-L-L-P-P-P-P!!!!!!

tanks in advance,

JD

I don't really think there is anything that you CAN DO.

The monitor is dying. Its already dead, really. In fact, here is a picture of what I think your monitor will be like very soon....

Frodo.jpg

Perhaps, your monitor will come back from the dead as a kind of undead, vengeful monitor that stalks the night....

;)

Sorry to kid, but I think you had better start saving pennies soon... That screen is already dead...

Maybe I am wrong, and someone can suggest something, but I doubt it and I think the only useful thing you can do with the monitor is put it in the bin and buy a new one... There is no reason why a healthy monitor should manifest the symptoms that you are describing, certainly not that I have seen.

Phosphor wears out in cathode ray tubes, there's nothing you really can do about it. Raising electron beam voltage is one thing but it's one of those "Don't try this at home" things ;). The simplest way would be getting a new monitor, like Phantasm66 said.

Have you already tried the visual settings of your graphic card?
Gamma, contrast and the like.
You said the screen is dark with your old card as well...which makes it unlikely the problem can be solved this way. But it's the last advice I could give before supporting Phantasm all the way in his morbidity... :D

And btw, welcome in the club...my monitor seems to die as well. I already have the messed up lines at the top. My old screen ceased the same way.

Well... Gee!

At least it has been consistantly dark for a year (at least) plus... so if it IS going to completely cash in its chips (very punny, no?) that unfortunate day, it seems to be taking its sweet time to cross the styx.

At any rate, thanks all for yer support and advice. Sigh. I DO have the old monitor that this one replaced... a 5 year old 15 " Komodo, so all will not be lost when the nifty big one passes into the realm incorporeal.

JD

If you take a look over at www.newegg.com you can get a 17" monitor for $109.00, or even 15" (viewable) LCD monitor for $230. Obviously these wont be the highest quality monitors available but if your on a budget it is an option.

To be happy with your setup I would probably suggest about a 19" or at least a 17" monitor, with refresh rates higher than 75hz.

I LOVE the thrift stores, like Salvation Army and Value Villiage (or you local equiv) You can get a 17" (sometimes... 19") CRT monitor for ........... $5 to $10!!! Usually, they work perfect but someone with more money than I have gets an LCD or HD display and just donates the old crt display. (You know the guys I mean.. they trade cars when the ash tray gets full).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back