Video Out is Black And White

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffdaddy110

I have a leadtek Ti 4400 with video out. When i run my s-video cable from the computer to the tv everything comes in black and white. I've upgraded to the most recent driver and same problem. I'm out of ideas and want to know if anyone has seen this problem, or has an idea on how to fix it.:dead: :blackeye:

Can you try with a different cable? Don't know if thats it though - I once had a bad cable and it caused the picture to be garbled and run diagonal across the screen.

Make sure that PAL/SECAM/NTSC setting in the TV-out settings matches the one the TV set is using.

ABU DHABI - PAL
AFGHANISTAN - PAL
AJMAN - PAL ALBANIA - PAL
ALGERIA - PAL
ANDORRA - PAL
ANTIGUA - NTSC
ANTILLES, NETHERLANDS - NTSC
ARGENTINA - PAL-N
ARUBA - NTSC
AUSTRALIA - PAL
AUSTRIA - PAL
AZORES - PAL NTSC
BAHAMAS - NTSC
BAHRAIN - PAL
BANGLADESH - PAL
BARBADOS - NTSC
BELAU - NTSC
BELGIUM - PAL
BELIZE - NTSC
BENIN - SECAM BERMUDA - NTSC
BOLIVIA - NTSC
BOPHUTHATSWANA - PAL
BOTSWANA - PAL I
BRAZIL - PAL M
BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS - NTSC
BRUNEI - PAL
BULGARIA - SECAM V
BURKINA FASO - SECAM
BURMA - NTSC
BURUNDI - SECAM
CAMBODIA (KAMPUCHEA) - PAL
CAMEROON - PAL
CANADA - NTSC
CANARY ISLANDS - PAL
CAYMAN ISLANDS - NTSC
CENTRAL AFRICAN REP. - SECAM
CHAD - SECAM
CHANNEL ISLANDS - PAL
CHILE - NTSC
CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC - PAL
CHINA, TAIWAN - NTSC
CISKEI - PAL COLOMBIA - NTSC
CONGO - SECAM V
COSTA RICA - NTSC
CUBA - NTSC
CURAÇAO - NTSC
CYPRUS - PAL
CZECHOSLOVAKIA - SECAM V
DENMARK - PAL
DIEGO GARCIA - NTSC
DJIBOUTI - SECAM V
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - NTSC
DUBAI - PAL
ECUADOR - NTSC
EGYPT - PAL
EL SALVADOR - NTSC
EQUATORIAL GUINEA - SECAM
ETHIOPIA - PAL
FALKLAND ISLANDS - PAL
FAROE ISLANDS - PAL
FIJI - NTSC
FINLAND - PAL
FRANCE - SECAM V
FRENCH POLYNESIA - SECAM H
FUJAIRAH - PAL
GABON - SECAM
GALAPAGOS ISLANDS - NTSC
GERMANY - SECAM (OLD) PAL(NEW)
GHANA - PAL
GIBRALTAR - PAL GRANADA - NTSC
GREECE - SECAM H
GREENLAND - PAL
GREENLAND (US FORCES)- NTSC
GUADELOUPE - SECAM V GUAM - NTSC
GUATEMALA - NTSC
GUINEA REPUBLIC - PAL
GUYANA (French) - SECAM V
GUYANA REPUBLIC - NTSC
HAITI - SECAM V
HONDURAS - NTSC
HONG KONG - PAL
HUNGARY - PAL
ICELAND - PAL
INDIA - VARIOUS, MOSTLY PAL
INDONESIA - PAL
IRAN - SECAM H
IRAQ - SECAM H
IRELAND - PAL
ISRAEL - PAL
ITALY - PAL
IVORY COAST - SECAM V
JAMAICA - NTSC
JAPAN - NTSC
JIBUTI - SECAM V
JOHNSTON ATOLL ISLAND - NTSC
JORDAN - PAL
KENYA - PAL
KOREA, NORTH - SECAM V NTSC
KOREA, SOUTH - NTSC
KUWAIT - PAL
LAOS REPUBLIC - PAL-M
LAOS - SECAM V
LEBANON - SECAM V
LEEWARD ISLANDS - NTSC
LESOTHO - PAL
LIBERIA - PAL
LIBYA - PAL
LIECHTENSTEIN - PAL SECAM V
LUXEMBOURG - PAL SECAM
MACAU - PAL
MADAGASCAR - SECAM V
MADEIRA - PAL
MALAYSIA - PAL
MALDIVES - PAL
MALI - SECAM
MALTA - PAL
MARIANA ISLANDS - NTSC
MARTINIQUE - SECAM V
MAURITANIA - SECAM H
MAURITIUS - SECAM
MAYOTTE - SECAM
MEXICO - NTSC
MICRONESIA - NTSC
MIDWAY ISLAND - NTSC
MONACO - PAL SECAM V
MONGOLIA - SECAM
MONTENEGRO - PAL
MONTSERRAT - NTSC
MOROCCO - SECAM V
MOZAMBIQUE - PAL
NAMIBIA - PAL
NEPAL - PAL
NETHERLANDS - PAL
NETHERLANDS ANTILLES - NTSC
NEW CALEDONIA - SECAM V
NEW GUINEA, PAPUA - PAL
NEW ZEALAND - PAL
NICARAGUA - NTSC
NIGER - SECAM V
NIGERIA - PAL
NORWAY - PAL
OKINAWA (JAPAN, US FORCES) - NTSC
OMAN - PAL
PAKISTAN - PAL
PANAMA - NTSC
PARAGUAY - PAL-N
PERU - NTSC PHILIPPINES - NTSC
POLAND - PAL
POLYNESIA, FRENCH - SECAM H
PONAPE - NTSC
PORTUGAL - PAL
PUERTO RICO (USA) - NTSC
QATAR - PAL
RAS AL-KHAIMAH - PAL
REUNION ISLAND - SECAM V
ROMANIA - PAL
SABA ISLAND - NTSC
SABAH & SARAWAK - PAL
SAIPAN - NTSC
SAMOA - NTSC
SAN ANDREAS ISLANDS - NTSC
SAN MARINO - PAL
SAO TOME & PRINCIPE - PAL
SAUDI ARABIA - SECAM H
SAUDI ARABIA (ARAMCO) - PAL
SENEGAL - SECAM V
SERBIA - PAL
SEYCHELLES - PAL
SHARJAH - PAL
SIERRA LEONE - PAL
SINGAPORE - PAL
SOCIETY ISLANDS - SECAM H
SOMALIA - PAL
SOUTH AFRICA - PAL I
SOVIET REPUBLICS - SECAM
SPAIN - PAL
SRI LANKA - PAL
ST. CROIX - NTSC
ST. JOHN - NTSC
ST. KITTS & NEVIS - NTSC
ST. MAARTEN - NTSC
ST. PIERRE & MIQUELON - SECAM V
ST. THOMAS - NTSC
SUDAN - PAL
SURINAME - NTSC
SWAZILAND - PAL
SWEDEN - PAL
SWITZERLAND - PAL
SYRIA - PAL (SECAM H?)
TAHITI (Fr. Poly) - SECAM H
TAIWAN - NTSC
TANZANIA - PAL
THAILAND - PAL
TIBET (CHINA)- PAL
TOGO - SECAM V
TORTOLA (Br. Virgin Islands) - NTSC
TRANSKEI - PAL
TRINIDAD & TOBAGO - NTSC
TRUST ISLANDS OF THE PACIFIC - NTSC
TUNISIA - SECAM V
TURKEY - PAL
UGANDA - PAL
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - PAL
UNITED KINGDOM - PAL
UMM AL-QUWAIN - PAL
UPPER VOLTA - SECAM V
URUGUAY - PAL-N
US VIRGIN ISLANDS - NTSC
USA - NTSC
USSR (SOVIET REPUBLICS) - SECAM
VATICAN - PAL
VENDA - PAL
VENEZUELA - NTSC
VIETNAM SECAM NTSC
VIRGIN ISLANDS - NTSC
YEMEN ARAB REPUBLIC - PAL NTSC
YUGOSLAVIA - PAL
ZAIRE - SECAM V
ZAMBIA - PAL
ZIMBABWE - PAL

I thought thats what you meant and the answer is yes. Also the cable is the same one I use from satellite to the tv and it works just fine.

What software are you using? The Device Settings tab that comes with the drivers?

Try TVTool , you'll find a link to TVCC too. Both of them have some extra features and are much better than the software that comes with the drivers. No TwinView though :(

Maybe you have to switch to a lower resolution?

Try switching manually between Composite/S-Video/Automatic signals. Does your TV support S-Video/Composite. Some Leadtek cards support only S-Video

Some people have solved the problem just applying the TV-out settings again after first activation.

Are you using a converter to link the card's S-Video out to the TV? Or does the TV have an S-Video input? Some converters aren't made very well and the impedence may be incorrect.

I've tried everything including installing wdm drivers, and using tv tool, it's still black and white. Maybe my card doesn't support this, but then why is there a tv out on the card?

As I already said, maybe your card supports only S-Video, but your TV wants to see a composite signal.

How about trying another cable or TV set. Does your satellite tuner have a video in capability. Try running the thing through a VCR.

WDM drivers are good for software stability, nothing else.

Maybe you could show your card to a TV repairman, they have stuff to test TV signals.

Have you tried switching the desktop color depth?

Originally posted by Vehementi
Erm, is the TV black & white?

LOL!!:grinthumb

Good idea!!!

In my experience, and believe me - i havnt got much:p I find most of the problems concerning black and white have got something to do with using PAL / SECAM / NTSC on equipment that doesn't handle the one ya trying to use... (if you see what i mean):confused:

Havn't a clue how to fix it though!!!

My thoughts exactly.

BTW, RustyZip, which are you using, PAL or NTSC (I sincerely hope it isn't SECAM (unless you are french, in that case you deserve it :p (to all french people, i'm just kidding, please don't kill me (we used to have SECAM here in former SU too (I would offend NTSC too, but there are too many americans here (revenge of the parthneses)))))?

Originally posted by Nodsu
BTW, RustyZip, which are you using, PAL or NTSC (I sincerely hope it isn't SECAM

No Nodsu, Im in the Uk and using PAL, Ive given up on trying to re-format my Movie files to VCD... Always ended up black and white... Too much grief in the end...:mad:

Heh. Yeah, I know the issue is with PAL/NTSC, but since that's about all I know than I thought I'd go another route...

The Signal setting is a possible cause but not the only cause of a B/W picture. This can also be caused by incorrect impedence on the cables or any converters/adapters being used. If the output of the card is being sent to a converter and the converter is connected to the TV, then this could be the problem. Most of these converters have an impedence selector though to deal with this. Also if you are routing it through the SAT receiver, then that may be the cause. The cure for the SAT receiver would be to use a converter if the TV has no S-Video in. Make sure to use one that has an impedence selector.

That is all just a theory. It may or may not apply but it does apply with some types of signals when routing them in the ways I outlined.

I hooked my daughters computer with a radeon 7200 to the same tv using the same cable and it was in color. I called Leadtek and they asked me to RMA the card back to them so they could test the tv card, only problem is they ask for proof of sale to do this, and i don't have that laying around anymore.

*This post has been edited by: Rick

I had same prob.Checked in Device select tab and set 'video output format' to auto-select.Just an idea.

Video out on my laptop came out strange on my TV using S-video. Worked out that my cheap Widescreen TV's "Auto format" setting for the AV channels wasn't picking up that it should be S-Video. I had to manually set the AV channel to S-Video to get the without lines and faded colour. Maybe check if you can set this, maybe for some reason the card your using doesn't cause your TV to switch automatically to S-Video??? Just a thought...

It sounds like the colorburst of the TV out on the computer isn't strong emough for the TV to pick it up as a valid signal. If it's only marginal you can increase the color setting on the TV to compensate. I'd probably send the card back as suggested by the mfgr. Of course that sucks unless you have a backup card for the mean time.

Looks like I'll be taking my old radeon 7200 out of my daughters computer in the meantime. Th good thing is it 's tv out workss, so the movies I spend all that time downloading can now be viewed on the tv.

I had the same problem with an nvidia geforce 4 card. It showed up black and white and if you kind of jigled the cable it would get some color but was very fuzzy. The way I fixed the problem... Go into display settings and there was a tab to select auto, composite, or s-video. auto didn't work and neither did composite. When I switched it to s-video it worked perfectly and was rather clear. Maybe this will work maybe it won't id say it has something to do with that or your connectors.

deer22

problem

I'm a intermediate computer user and I had a card with tv-out fine working from nvidia. But, my card was bad, it goes in werry high temeratures and the system freezes all the tim. So I bought a new one also with nvidia chip but newer from another vendor. I got the same problem as many people here. The signal in the TV is B&W if I use s-video (4pin) connector or composite. When I start the computer TV has full coluor but after the login screen in Windows XP appears the signal is only B&W. The cable is 100% good, my tv has S-video and composite input also the card has both outputs. Nowhere finded help about this problem. I sugest many users got the same problem. The posibilities are: driver or windows. 100% is not a problem in cables/connectors or Hardware. This should help many users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back