Videos not working on secondary monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin_Capacitor

Ok, My problem is that, like the title says, I cant get videos to run on my second and third monitors. I have a geforce 8400GS (waiting for the 9 series) powering my main LCD monitor, and a gecube PCI radeon 7000 32mb powering my two CRT monitors on either side. I know the video isn't working because direct draw (and direct 3d) is disabled. But heres the kicker:This HAS worked before, when i had my geforce 7950GX2 powering my main monitor. I was also stuck with just my radeon for awhile and it not only ran videos but played X:BTF (3d space sim game) at high settings just fine. It has even worked in this setup before - I had uninstalled my 8400 and reinstalled the radeon so the videos would work, and after that I installed the 8400 again, and after the first reboot to install the drivers everything was just peachy. Next restart however direct draw was disabled and back to square one. Long story short: videos only work on my radeon when the 8400 isnt installed. I think it has something to do with the nvidia drivers. Anyhow any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running windows XP x64, am using the WHQL nvidia drivers and the NGOHQ 1.5.5 x64 catalyst drivers. I have a crosshair mobo with a fx-62 processor, currently 2 GB of ram (OCZ stick died, RMA'ing now).

PS: Sorry for the long post.

"don't work" means what? The media player application crashes and formats your hard drive? Little blue gnomes start dancing on your keyboard singing "No video, no video"?

When i say doesn't work i mean that videos when played on that screen dont show up because the direct draw function is disabled. MPC says something like 'due to your computers limitations this video can only be shown on one of your computers monitors, please move it to that monitor'. and of course if i try to do anything with a program that uses direct3d it will just give me an error and not work.

Damn Nvidia

Update: I just uninstalled the nvidia driver, and after the reboot low and behold, direct draw and direct 3d are enabled and videos and stuff works. In fact im typing this on my radeon 7000 right now. going to try and install the nvidia driver again and see what happens

Update2: well yeah, i just installed the nvidia drivers manually (didnt even require a restart) and BOOM video doesn't work on the radeon anymore.

WHat if you install the Radeon drivers after the nVidia ones?

Also, do you really need to use DirectDraw to play video?

works!

If i install the radeon ones after, the same thing happens. Fortunatly i have been asking around and found out if i change the rendering mode (i changed it from overlay mixer to like system default) in MCP it does work, so its all good. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back