Virii and Trojan's and Malware...oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtyMetis

Hullo all--

Working on a friend of a friend's laptop (gotta love being the 'computer guy') and I've managed to successfully purge this possessed monstrosity of some 43 trojans, 13 viruses, and a handful of various malwares -- and I'm still gettin' popups. I would have loved to do a clean install from the beginning, but you know how it is with other's people data and such so I'm stuck doin' it the hard way. Did the magic 13-Step process, here's my results -- lemme know if ya can what it is I've missed. Thanks in advance!

(No results from AVG Antirootkit or Antispyware scan)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Download the Pocket Killbox programme from HERE. Extract it but don`t run it yet.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: CIEPl Object - {51667D91-1720-434F-94E6-435789B50DB7} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvmon.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)

O20 - Winlogon Notify: kwmubnbb - kwmubnbb.dll (file missing)

O20 - Winlogon Notify: msvmon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msvmon.dll

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Run the killbox.exe file. When it loads type the full path to the file you would like to delete in the field and check the delete file on reboot button. press the Delete File button (looks like a red circle with a white X). It will prompt you to reboot, select no until you have finished inputting the files you want to delete, only then allow it to reboot and hopefully your files will now be deleted. If your computer doesn`t automatically restart, restart it manually.

This is the filepath you need to enter into killbox.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msvmon.dll

Once your system has rebooted, rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of DirtyMetis only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Update

Did as instructed, just had a pop-up show up as I was typing my reply (DOH!)

Here's the updated hijack.log -- Thanks Howard!

Download Vundofix from HERE.

Double click the Vundofix.exe to run it.

Right click in the vundofix window and click add files.

Enter the full file path/s to the files you want Vundofix to delete and click the add files button, followed by the close window button. Click the remove vundo button and let Vundofix do it`s stuff.

This is the filepath you need to enter into Vundofix.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvmon.dll

Post a fresh HJT log after doing the above.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of DirtyMetis only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Was it helpful? or does it give false positives? I use Avast!Pro, resident scanner seems really good when set on high,good for scanning incoming files and integrates well with ZipGenius and WinRar,updates regularly, heuristics?-I don't know ...

It did manage to catch a pair that had managed to evade everything else aparently. Was fairly impressed that an online scanner worked at all to be honest!

Your HJT log is now clean.

Have HJT fix this inactive entry.

O2 - BHO: CIEPl Object - {51667D91-1720-434F-94E6-435789B50DB7} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvmon.dll (file missing)

Click the fixed checked button.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

BassRck4: If you`d have looked at DirtyMetis`s HJT log, you would have seen he is running AVG Antispyware and Kaspersky. This is not to be confused with the AVG free antivirus programme. Therefore, there shouldn`t be any problems.

Regards Howard :)

Howard -- you are, as always, my hero. Thanks a bunch for helping get this system under control. Now if I could just convince the PC's owner that definition updates are our friend...

Thanx!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back