virus scan problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

darknate

i've noticed people on this site always say watch out what you delete on a virus scan. and for someone who doesn't know what they are doing, how are we supposed to know what not to delete? like spybot:s&d, i remember on a different thread that someone said to watch out because you might delete something you might need. is there a way to prevent deleting a file you need? i have avast as well.

Most if not all antivirus/spyware programmes have a virus vault, that you can restore files from, if you start to have problems.

It is possible for any antivirus/spyware programme to pick up the odd false positive from time to time.

Obviously the vast majority of people wouldn`t know what to delete and what to keep. A good way to find out though, is to do a Google search for any files you`re not sure about.

Regards Howard :)

The only thing I can think of that relates to this question is deleting some spywares that are used by programs like iTunes or something, and apparently if you delete them the contract with apple or whoever the program belongs to will be voided. I deleted the iTunes spyware if I remember correctly, my spybot s+d found it. iTunes still works perfectly. I don't like spyware.
Getting back to the subject though, unless you are cleaning your pc manually of nasty stuff there's not much chance of a spybot scan accidentally recommending that you delete your C drive or something... and if you are manually cleaning the pc and worried make a backup of everything on the hard drive first.

does avast and spybot have a vault? and i created a restore point for my computer after i did a system restore because of all the problems i was having on my hp computer. maybe i should just get a new pc, mine is 2001. old piece of mac crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back