Virus/Trojan caused a few issues with XP Pro after clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Fork

I managed to slam and get rid of that nasty spyware/trojan that announces you have spyware on your machine but not until it caused some minor damage to my OS. Here are the residuals I'm left with:

1. Time sync won't work right. When I try to update my time, it errors out
  2. In Outlook, when ever I click on a HTML link inside an email, it opens an explorer window in addition to my browser. Weird.
  3. When I'm away from my machine and I come back, when the login screen comes back up, my keyboard is disabled (keylogger at work but gone). I have to use the guest account to log in and then log out (all with mouse - guest account has no password), presto - my keyboard is working again. Frackin weird.
  4. When I use IE7 and log into an Outlook Web Access (OWA) site, an web Outlook appointment reminder pop-up crashes IE7. OWA acts just like Outlook with pop-ups and sound. Kinda nice but I can't use the OWA sites anymore because of this issue.
All of these never happened pre-infection.

Here's what I'm thinking that might help:
a) Do a repair at the start-up using my XP CD and repair office (eech - least desirable)
b) Reinstall XP Service Pack 2 and reinstall Office - but will it fix my issues?
c) Find a utility that can fix up my OS and Office (suggestions?)
d) Upgrade to Vista (ummm... hitting a 2cm nail with a 2000lb hammer)
e) Try addressing each issue individually. Time consuming but it fixes everything.

I've tried repairing office, but that annoying glitch won't disappear.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

With my customers who have bad spyware, I first run the following 3 anti-spyware utils:

Ad-Aware 2007
Spybot Search & Destroy
AVG Anti-Spyware

I then go into MSCONFIG and disable any uesless background programs. If there are still problems and appear to be corruption of Windows, I then do an XP repair installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back