Vista and xp on same network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ru1thirst

My Desktop = vista home prem.
Laptop wireless = xp pro

I'm able to see the laptop of the desktop but not the other way around. I've checked firewall and just about everything but can't figure out how to share files from the desktop (Vista) to the Laptop (xp pro)
I'm sure its some tiny little thing but I'm fried after this new build and tweaking software all night.
Any ideas out there?

Have you tried shutting down the firewalls on both machines? Did you run the Network Setup Wizard on both machines? Do both machines belong to the same work group? Just a few hints to look at.
Hope this helps.

Thanks TT. I'm fried on this whole thing. Its driving me crazy. Ya I'm pretty sure I've tried all your suggestion but will go over them again. Running Avast on both and the window firewall. I know I disabled everything one time or two but just can't get xp to see vista. Vista to xp no prob.

Ok, think I'm getting there. I've gotten to the point that the laptop with xp is trying to connect to my desktop with vista now but it is asking for a user name and password. I don't have a password installed of configured on the desktop at all. ??? Now what? Anybody?

How is you IP set, static or DHCP?

EDIT: Nevermind I was thinking of something else....my bad. Do you have the security settings the same on both machines?

Whew! Got it. Had to go into vista setting and rt. click on the files even though they were set to be shared in the properties by "Everyone" and go in the settings and I forget now but get to where you can click on add and then advanced then click on network, configure, apply and finish. Something like that but now it works! Well that is the good news. The bad is that the one utility that I use everyday to synch my work files between networked computer call synctoy does not work with Vista yet alone Vista 64 bit. One thing after another so now have to find another synch program that will work both with xp pro and vista networked machines. Time for more coffee! Thanks TT and halo for the suggestions. I need all the help I can get right about now.

Well done. Had to be a configuration thing because XP and Vista will happily live on the same file sharing network.

ru1thirst
Glad I could be of some help. Thanks for posting your final resolution. Often the posts stop and you don't know of they solved the problem or gave up.

As a follow up just in case somebody else has an issue with Synctoy and Vista. I've found that you can sync with on a system with xp pro to a system with Vista but not the other way around. I still can't get the sync to work from Vista 64bit to xp pro. No big deal. Just have to do all syncs from the laptop with xp pro. I'm sure this will be fixed with a update soon since synctoy is a Microsoft program. Well at least I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back