Vista blocks me from accessing some files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vnf4ultra

I'm running vista rc1 currently, but notice that it won't let me access certain areas of my computer. For example, if I try to open C:\Documents and Settings, I get an error "C:\Documents and Settings is not accessible, access is denied."

So I figure it must be a vista "feature" to stop noobs from deleting stuff they shouldn't, and I try booting up in safe mode as administrator. This gives me another error. It says the administrator account has been disabled, please contact your system administrator for more information... I then searched around in the vista accounts menu in control panel, but didn't easily find any way to enable an admin account.

It seems like all the places that I can't access are marked in windows explorer with a blue upturned arrow in the bottom left of the icon(just like a shortcut's icon).

Any ideas on how to access these areas, or am I "locked out."

Thanks.

I got it working.

The problem was with folder ownership and permissions. The folders I was trying to access were owned by "system" instead of by me. I changed the owner, and now it works, but only after clicking "continue" on all the warning popups several times.

Both linux and mac have a better security system IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back