vista cant connect to internet via cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbang

ive just recently bought a new acer aspire 4920 laptop. the specs are fine with me.. the only problem is the internet connection. i can connect to the internet through wireless but not through cable. i ve been stuck with this for quite a few days now and im getting frustrated with it. i dont have wireless connection at home and the cable connection works perfectly fine on my old system with xp running.. anyone know how do i fix this?

and also i got the internet running for about 5 mins a few days back but now i totally cannot connect to the internet with cable.

Check your ethernet card in Device Manager of Hardware in Systems. Do you have any red or yellow flags? Are drivers installed and reported as working?
Is the ethernet enabled in your BIOS. What about the Network settings and Internet Settings in the control panel.
Be sure you have the correct driver for VISTA downloaded and installed. Some of the early changeovers had defective drivers.

hey thanks for the reply but i kinda found the solution. i have a program on the acer called "eNet manager" and i simply closed the program. then i connected the cable and waited around 5 mins and then i got connected.. right now im using my laptop to reply. cheers =)

well the problem is back now but a little bit different.. i notice after about 2 hrs of use, the internet disconnects and it doesn't connect back on its own.. and also it takes an awfully long time to connect it back.. any suggestions on how do i fix this??

Does your internet provider say the problem is on your end?
Usually you can get them to look downline into your computer at no charge.
Some services only give you two hours at a time if you are paying a low rate.

Are you having a lot of rain or lightning? Are there others on your connection?
Always the first thing to do is unplug the cable model, wait 20 seconds and reinsert the plug. Or stick a straightened paper clip into the reset button.

But if this problem continues, look at the provider first...

Also test your connection speed. A free, and good tester that cable and DSL companies use and respect is called Internet frog. It is free for download.

the weather is fine and there is no others on the connection. and my isp is also fine coz it never disconnects when im connected with my xp system. unplugging the cable, wait 20 secs and reinsert and reset dosent really help much coz it still disconnects after 2 hr or so again. and if it does reconnect it would take a long time to connect it back.. maybe around 10 mins to get it stable.

The final test is to run your ACER on a friends cable. If it works there. The problem is home. If it fails there, at least the ACER is new and can be repaired under warranty. It is not famous for being reliable.

The connection problem might be in the router and the MTU (Max Transmissable Units) setting. Get into the router management and reset to something like 1370 and see if this improves matters.

raybay said:
The final test is to run your ACER on a friends cable. If it works there. The problem is home. If it fails there, at least the ACER is new and can be repaired under warranty. It is not famous for being reliable.

ive tried it at other places and still the same problem... yea i think its acer's problem.

AlbertLionheart said:
The connection problem might be in the router and the MTU (Max Transmissable Units) setting. Get into the router management and reset to something like 1370 and see if this improves matters.

and im not using a router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back