Vista doesn't detect second HHD

Status
Not open for further replies.

hynesy

Hey, I bought the new windows Vista premium home edition not 3 days ago, but already have a problem, it doesnt find my seond HHD after the clean install, any help would be greatly appreciated
cheers
Hynesy:wave:

Does BIOS see the secondary drive?
Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling from device manager?
Have you tried un-plugging the drive physical, reconnect, then reboot?

Bios does see the drive, I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling, also tried disconnect boot, shut down, reconnect then boot again to no avail.

according to microsoft, you can not do a "clean" install of vista. it has to have xp as the base to let vistat install.

That hasn't been the case with our shop. We have installed several versions of VISTA with no problem... There is a problem when you dual-boot, however.

according to microsoft, you can not do a "clean" install of vista. it has to have xp as the base to let vistat install.

Maybe for the upgrades, but OEM and Retail versions can be clean installs or ugprades depending on the status of the hard drive.

The Vista Advisor has indicated that my Promise PCI IDE controller is not compatible with Vista, and it should be removed before I install Vista. This IDE controller handles 4 drives.

It would be good if hynesy would explain how this second HDD is configured

vista

foozy said:
Maybe for the upgrades, but OEM and Retail versions can be clean installs or ugprades depending on the status of the hard drive.
dude,
vista IS an upgrade, unlike xp which can be purchased in upgrade, retail full, oem, etc., vista is an upgrade only. requirement is that you have to have xp. microsoft upgrade advisor states: "before you install vista on your xp based system!!!!.....
there are ways that people have used to make an xp-upgrade version a full version by tweaking different install parameters. i won't get into that. but vista is meant to be an upgrade. oem is a different story. here's the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/default.mspx
cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back