vista error with hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamesh

Hi

i have recently tried to install vista home premium OEM on my home machine and i m having some problems!

i load up the wizard to begin install, it finds my drives, i select the drive i want the install on and then it says "copying files" so far so good. machine then does a restart to continue installation, then i get an error saying "windows could not find information on the disks on this machine." i click ok as it is the only option, so vista cannot install. i have the OEM version and i have successfully installed vista on my machine and i have not changed any hardware. i know that the OEM is locked to your motherboard. i am using xp now.

anyone have any ideas to what i can try??

thanks

So Windows XP works, but Windows VISTA does not?
What is installed on the Maxtor, and what is installed on the Seagate. Which one works?

hi

thanks for the reply

the maxtor is the system drive, xp was installed on the maxtor and i selected vista to be installed on it. the seagate is unformatted and not in use.

thanks

The Maxtor was not a very reliable drive, and often failed early. I would attempt the install on the Seagate... save the Maxtor data to it, then try reformatting the Maxtor.

hi,

i know, ive heard the maxtor is not very realiable, but i've had mine for 8 years now and somehow it's lasting! when i ran the setup, it doesnt allow me to choose the seagate, it says "its a dynamic drive and windows cannot be installed on it." it doesnt even give me an option to format the drive?

ill try booting from the cd and see what options i get.

thanks

Based on 8 years of useful life, I would say all drives of all manufacturers, except some elite scsi are long past ready for replacement. Everything you tell us is that this drive is beyond repair... worn out perhaps from curling of the magnetic plating rather than the usual cracked plates or bearing failures.

Hi

so are you saying my drives need replacing...? i have reverted back to xp and both of my drives are working fine- not 1 problem...? ill borrow my mate's and try installing vista on his drive.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back