Vista - Internet Explorer start up loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazeel

Hi All.
Billy's computer starts and then a message is displayed that Internet Explorer has a problem and that Windows is looking for the solution. This occurs over and over again and will not let me access anything. I restarted in Safe Mode with Networking so as to update S&R and run it to hopefully clear whatever was causing the problem, but the same window messages appeared.
What should I do next to help him resolve this problem?
TIA Basil.

First do what Microsoft says HERE

1.Empty IEs cache -

Tools/Delete Browsing History/In Delete Browsing History, click Delete All.

Select the Also delete files and settings stored by add-ons check box, and then click OK

2.Disable add ons -

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

3.Reset IE settings -

Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Reset/OK.

Then download Firefox or Opera as soon as possible.

Vista/explorer start up loop

Hi and thanks BlameC.
I cannot access anything while the loop is in progress so what you recommend cannot be done. I.E. I can't stop the loop but have to close window 1 then close window 2 and then quickly (before the loop reactivates) shut the system down.
Any other ideas will be much appreciated.
cheers, Basil.

Explorer start up loop in Vista

Hi and thanks to all.
I erred when I first posted this thread as an 'Internet Explorer' start up loop.
It is 'windows explorer has stopped working' and 'windows explorer is restarting' loop.
I saw a suggestion to use ctrl alt and del to bring up the task bar. Then to end the process 'system idle process' to stop the loop, then to click 'file(run)' and enter 'explorer' to restart it. It wouldn't let us end the system idle process.
Any ideas why?
cheers and tia. Basil.

Explorer loop

Hi to all.
I accessed the task bar and stopped the explorer.exe process.
Then I searched for all files and sorted by date. I found a suspicious looking file dated the day the problem started and deleted it. Rebooted and seems to be running fine.
Cheers, Basil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back