Vista Made My RAM Chip Blow Up :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, im new here so apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I love the look of vista, its my kinda OS, so i decided the other day to install it, i currently had XP Home, here was my PCs specs:

----------
. ASUS M2N32 WS Professional motherboard
. 2GB GSkill DDR2 800MHZ RAM
. SATA Hard Drives, 2 of them at 250GB each
. NVIDIA GEforce 7950 GX2 Graphics Card (A Whopping 1GB *drools*)
. 700W PSU
. AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPU's)
. Standard DVD Drive
. LG Lightscribe DVDRW drive (burns to all formats)
. Thermaltake Bigwater SE Liquid cooling system
----------

Basically, this machine is a monster, so, i get vista home premium installing after formatting both hard drives and go downstairs for some food, come back later and theres an error screen saying "your machine unexpectedly restarted, please initialize the installation again", ok i can go with that, so i set it off again, go downstairs, come back to be greeted by the dreaded blue screen of death, i really am kicking myself because i didnt bother writing down the error code. hit the reset button with the intent of re-installing xp, as vista was now beginning to annoy me and.......nothing...nada....zip...the lights were on, everything was whirring and chirping as normal, but not even a boot up screen, the hard drive light was continuously on.

I had this problem before, it turned out to be one of the PSU connectors that was faulty and i had used it on the lightscribe drive, so i tried taking the cable and booting without the lightscribe drive, still nothing.

I spent three hours re-wiring the whole thing in case i had knocked something accidentally, to no avail.

I googled the error at work, i remembered seeing some people had removed a RAM chip and it worked, so i tried removing a chip and the damn pc boots first time, so i did the following:

- checked the working RAM chip in every RAM slot, all works fine
- checked just the bad chip in every port, no boot up
- checked them both in unison but switched around from which port they were in originally, no boot

what in the hell is going on? has vista just blown up my RAM chip? Has bill gates gone one step too far this time?! :)

If theres any chance i can get it working again i would welcome the extra RAM, i dont particually need it at the moment but i paid for the thing.

thanks all

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Sticks of ram go bad all the time. I very much doubt that Vista was to blame, in fact, I`ve never heard of software killing ram. It`s just a coincidence.

If one of your sticks of ram has gone bad, there`s nothing you can do but replace it.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

In no way would an OS kill your ram. RAM sticks go bad all the time - generally from overheating or overclocking attempts (voltage increases and fluctuations).

to be sure - test it with memtest 86+ booted from a floppy or CD and run for 7 passes or more. Any faults are bad.

read the upgrading ram guide in the guides forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back