Vista memory issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashblingbling

i have windows vista home premium 32-bit OS and i have 3 gigs of memory and my windows only registers that i have 2492MB just wonder but wheres my 3072mbs that SHOULD be registered I do use the integrated graphic card in my pc i know it should be using about 128Mbs of memory so that shouldn't be the issue ... basically just wondering wheres my other 580mbs of memory at? my bios detects the memory just fine just the windows doesnt see it correctly.. so can somebody help me out ..Thanks

My specs are:
Windows vista home premium 32-bit
Amd 64 X2 3800+
3 gigs of ram
320 gig hard drive
nvidia 6150 Se (onboard)

The reason you only see aprox. 2.5 gigs of memory is because you are running the 32-bit version of windows. Any 32-bit system can only "see" that amount weather you have 3 Gigs or 300 Gigs of memory. If you want to have your system see all your memory you have to either run xp Pro 64 of Vista 64 bit.
Hope this answers your question.

a 32 bit OS can only register 4gb of ram and this has to include system ram, graphics memory and the virtual memory

like flycpd said, switch to a 64 bit OS to get 'see' all of your ram but for an extra 500mb or so you need to consider whether it would be worth it

Btw, flycpd, Hello, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

It's good to see you're diving straight in ;)

Dave, that statement is incorrect. it has nothing to do with graphics memory and the virtual memory. although I use 4 gig. in my system, just do not have it in now. my system sees and uses 3.5 gig of that and then I have a 640MB graphics card.

Actually this is typically an address space problem as not all BIOS's support upper page area remapping or enable this mode by default.

Many old BIOS revisions and mainboards will map device I/O address space past the 2gig mark, whereas more modern motherboards and BIOS's will map device I/O as close to end of the 4gig mark as possible.

I'd first check in your BIOS to see what settings you have as well as ensure you have the absolute latest BIOS for your system. Also see if you have any mem remap features that could stand being tweaked a bit.

thanks, nickc, i obviously read it wrong when i saw it on here somewhere

i'll do some research now then and get it right ;)

i couldn't exactly remember if it was virtual memory that i was thinking was but i thought it probably was :p

i can't remember who it was that said it but they said that 32 bit binary code can only take up to about 4gb worth of spaces (if you know what i mean) so a 32 bit OS could only see this much and it included graphics ram and any other memory in the pc. something along those lines anyway, i would give a link but it was probably a month or so ago and i don't know what thread it was ;)

"32 bit binary code can only take up to about 4gb worth of spaces"

that part is correct. and what that means is it will only see from 3gig to 3.5gig of the system mem. and so if u are upgrading stop at 3gig. but do not worry about the video card.

yes and also check on the virtual memory and set it to zero or disable it....

again 32bit supports up to 4 gig whit 64bit supports upto 16...Have fun

so is there a way to make windows show the full amount of memory i have , because in the BIOS theres nothing about swap or remaping memory

well your onboard graphics will be using your system ram but you can change how much it gets in your bios

depending on how you use your pc you could lower or raise the graphics memory, if you're an "every day" user and don't play games etc then you can have it fairly low but if you are a more "power user" then you may want more graphics memory

check how much memory your graphics is using at the mo, it may not be 128mb

hey

alright so I took a picture of the amount of video memory being used and tell me what it means because I dont know

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 5
what that picture shows is that the graphics has 128mb of dedicated memory, which it may have for itself independently but it's probably system ram. it also says that windows is using just over 1gb of your system memory to share with the graphics. attached is my equivalent of the picture that you uploaded, it shows that windows is using 255mb of my system memory to share with my graphics, but unless the graphics is using this then it's free for the system to use because in Computer it shows that i have "1.00 GB" of ram

just to make sure, you have 3gb of memory installed but windows says that you have 2.5gb, correct?

it could be that you have a 1.1gb virtual memory so this is causing windows to but the extra 110mb off

here are some instructions for you to check your page file size, if it is over 1gb then lower its maximum size to 1gb and then see how much of your installed ram windows sees (1GB = 1024MB in case you didn't know)

• In control panel, open System.
  • In the left pane, click Advanced system settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
  • Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.
  • Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.
  • Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
  • Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK.

please use the "Edit" button if you want to add new information and there is no new post, you have posted one reply and then done another one 1 minute after, it would have been more appropriate to edit the first post

you can change your page file size back to default settings now, if it didn't make any difference

if you have 3gb of ram installed and windows says that you have 2.89 installed, the rest must be going to your graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back