Vista pagefiling instead of using RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaonax

so I bought a new vista laptop, and every time I go above 1gb ram (I have 2gb installed, and it is recognized in the BIOS and in windows) it starts to pagefile instead of using the other 1gb of RAM, any ideas?

maybe vista decides to start pagefiling early? if that's it I'd be quite relieved

No, Vista wouldn't jump to page file at a 1 GB cap. Try taking out both modules, and run your laptop with one stick. Then move that stick to the other slot. Now you will know (for sure) that the module works, and that both slots work. Then repeat with only the second module. If all of those configs pass, I don't know.

ok what I thought was windows pagefiling is actually the disk "stalling". in the performance monitor, whenever vista stalls, the disk reports 100% highest active time,with absolutely no other activity on the disk. what exactly does this mean and how can I fix this?

and I thought of reseating the RAM but I'd rather try something that wouldn't void the warranty first

Its Superfetch in action.

Microsoft said:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/performance.mspx
Windows SuperFetch

A new memory management technology in Windows Vista, Windows SuperFetch, helps keep the computer consistently responsive to your programs by making better use of the computer's RAM. Windows SuperFetch prioritizes the programs you're currently using over background tasks and adapts to the way you work by tracking the programs you use most often and preloading these into memory. With SuperFetch, background tasks still run when the computer is idle. However, when the background task is finished, SuperFetch repopulates system memory with the data you were working with before the background task ran. Now, when you return to your desk, your programs will continue to run as efficiently as they did before you left.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/superfetch.mspx
Windows SuperFetch enables programs and files to load much faster than they would on Windows XP–based PCs.

When you're not actively using your computer, background tasks—including automatic backup programs and antivirus scans—run when they will least disturb you. These background tasks can take up system memory space that your programs had been using. On Windows XP–based PCs, this can slow progress to a crawl when you attempt to resume work.

SuperFetch monitors which applications you use the most and preloads these into your system memory so they'll be ready when you need them. Windows Vista also runs background programs, like disk defragmenting and Windows Defender, at low priority so that they can do their job but your work always comes first.

okay, I can see how it is superfetch. I thought it might be but then I read somewhere it was only on startup. but superfetch shouldn't be stalling my drive, should it? what is the drive doing? is it because tit's not fast enough? (5400 RPM).

Kaonax said:
ok what I thought was windows pagefiling is actually the disk "stalling". in the performance monitor, whenever vista stalls, the disk reports 100% highest active time,with absolutely no other activity on the disk. what exactly does this mean and how can I fix this?

and I thought of reseating the RAM but I'd rather try something that wouldn't void the warranty first
What process uses 100%? Are there any errors in the Event Viewer during this?

Sorry, missed your post that I quoted above when I gave the superfetch reply.

when the disk is at 100% there are no updating processes, just old ones that eventually fade away till the disks stops stalling. when it starts working again it has alot of requests lined up that usually change between stalls, so it is hard to know which process might even be possible to be the culprit.

in the event viewer/windows logs/system I see a few errors that look like they might be related:

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

source: iastor
event ID: 9
task category: none

there are quite a few of these and they are all the same

sounds to me like a bad hard drive, assuming IDE is generic for all sata/ata devices

EDIT: seems like it's a bad storage controller, I'm going to update the driver for it and see if it solves any problems when I get home

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.
Bad DRIVE is more like it. Run a disk drive manufacturer's diagnostic from a bootable floppy or CDROM.

I actually found a rather strange resolution, I turned off turbo memory and changed the SATA config to ATA from AHCI, and I've not had any stalls in the last hour or so the comp has been running.

I had done a SMART diagnostic earlier FYI (although I did not mention it) the disk was at 100% fitness.

EDIT: laptop has been working fine with no freezeups for a day, seems safe to call it fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back