Vista Registry Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseM

I just (hopefully) removed some malware from my computer that had been screwing with my registry, but now whenever I log onto my user account all I get is a black screen because explorer.exe is not listed as a startup program.

So, I thought this would be a simple fix by manually changing the registry startup values. I found this tutorial that said to navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" but I do not see the \Winlogon folder. Is it possible that I need to recreate this folder or is this an incorrect path?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So could you take a screenshot of your "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" open so I can attempt to recreate it? That is assuming you have Vista.

sure let me try, lately my screenshots have not been coming out well for some reason -> I may need to update photoshop

I try to avoid doing that, seems like it always makes more problems arise...

That registry thing didn't do anything to fix my problem however. Whenever I log onto my user account the only thing that comes up is my system32 folder, instead of windows expolrer. Then, when I manually start explorer.exe via task manager I get a series of errors something along the lines of "svchost.exe could not be started". I ran Spybot S&D to remove the malware, and I think it changed my registry to WinXP settings... I don't even know where to begin to resolve this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back