Vista Ultimate Bluescreens - ntkrnlpa.exe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikedCola

My dad just bought this new laptop about two weeks ago - it's a Sony Vaio CR240N, if it matters. He asked me to blow it out and put a fresh copy of Vista on it, since it was so slow, because of all the bundled software that came with it.

Its been working fine for me, but he's noticed that its bluescreened for him a few times, and sure enough, there are four minidumps saved (which Ive attached - can someone with a good set of symbols take a proper look?)

I analyzed all four, and all four told me that it was probably caused by ntkrnlpa.exe, so I did a google search on that. I found a lot of people had the same problem, but all the fixes were extremely generic - scan for viruses and spyware, etc. No one actually had a proper fix for it.

When I first installed Vista, I installed all the programs and drivers from Sony's web page, so that pressing the Volume Up/Down keys would show up on the display, and things like that. I did a windows update afterwards, which showed no new drivers. (I just did one today, and its downloading one new driver right now, titled "Intel - Networking - Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN" so if that is what is causing my bluescreens, please let me know :))

Anyone have any ideas or things for me to try, other than the obvious (virus and spyware scan, RAM test, etc)? Also, would someone mind checking over the minidump files? I set up Windows Debugger according to MajorGeeks, but it kept telling me my symbols were wrong - probably a result of my horrendusly slow internet connection.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    74.6 KB · Views: 7
Inside the minidumps:

Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.
(Basically it cannot produce accurate results)

Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.
(Basically it cannot produce accurate results)

BugCheck 9F, {3, 84856030, 858af030, 9f109c60}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for NETw4v32.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for NETw4v32.sys
Probably caused by : NETw4v32.sys (intel wireless)

BugCheck 4E, {99, 4548f, 2, 44ca0}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiBadShareCount+24 )

Just run a checkdisk on the drive and test again.
In Xp it's the following; Vista may be siimilar
Open My Computer
Right Click on C drive
Select Properties
Select Tools tab
Select Check Now button
Tick "Automatically fix file system errors"
Start YES OK
Restart your computer
Wait for Check Disk to start/finish

Well, if it references that driver, hopefully the update I did will fix it. Ill do a chkdsk, but its relatively new, so there shouldnt be any errors. Ill have in update in ten or so minutes.

EDIT Scanned, no errors.

You know I just caught this post on the way out. (both your post and me presently!)

I'll check your result later, but the point being here, is does it still fault, or has it stopped?

Also your Win Debug tool is obviously Ok

So far I havent got a crash. I explained to him what a BSOD is and im having him write down what the error codes are next time, so that should help.

Just got a blue screen :( working on getting the proper symbols (downloading the huge symbol pack from Microsoft's website), so all I get out of this one is that it references the same exe as stated before.

Also, I noticed that recently the computer has been reading and writing to the hard drive all the time (the activity light is almost solid). Even when there is nothing going on it does it - checked the task manager and svchost takes 1-2% the odd time, but there really isnt anything stressing the cpu

Inside the one minidump:
----------------
BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 82194d6d, 9d18cbc4, 0}
Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe
----------------
File description: NT Kernel & System

Can be
driver updates
memory error ie Memtest
System files corrupt ie SFC /ScanNow from command prompt

It's very general, can even be a program like Azureus : Java BitTorrent Client (if you have that installed)

Maybe more testing required - but do all the above anyway.

Memtest ran 48 passes without error, so the RAM should be fine
sfc came up with nothing wrong
No newer drivers available

What now?

OK back up the Drivers

This program is en excellent find, for doing that: (if your tech minded you'll love it)
http://fileforum.betanews.com/sendfile/1170699160/1/DriverGrabber.zip

Anyway,

Guess what ?

I'm thinking Repair (unlikely) or Re-Install Vista (That may work!)

Obviously Backup everything.

The only issue is, when re-installing those driver backups (above) they will be the only common denominator (other than Hardware) So may be test without them, for a little while.

Vista is easier for Re-install sometimes.

My dad's taking the laptop with him to Australia for three weeks, so if he gets a bunch of bluescreens, then Ill wipe the laptop and start from scratch when he gets back. If he doesnt, then it was probably me just pushing the computer too hard.

Ill let you know what I choose when he gets back. Thanks for the help!

Cool (Surfers I hope in Qld)

Remember Koalla Bears aren't that cuddly (very sharp claws!)

Oh yeah and Kangaroos don't actually jump down the street!

Haha I know. Ive been twice. Found it interesting that Koalla Bears have two thumbs ;)

And the whole kangaroo thing is just like up here in Canadaland... We dont actually live in Igloos and have pet polar bears :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back