Vista Upgrade blew up my NVIDIA 8500gt

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobbcj7

So I was told by microsoft that the Vista32bit up-grade would never damage my graphics card.. Well my new GeForce 8500gt worked just fine prior to install and after the install of the vista system, I could not get any options to adjust the settings which looks like Im running in safe mode .. all drivers installed and the operating system says its running fine but its not.. so then I removed and re-installed my old Geforce 6600 card and it worked fine without the drivers installed, and it is what I am stuck with now.. What could have caused this and what are my options on the matter??

Also could anyone give me a few details about this NForce410/6100 motherboard that could help me with Crashing Computer?? I have the PNY3200 Low Intensity 2x1G Strips, SB Audigy4 with 7.1speakers, 120MaxBlast, and Geforce6600(now)... The computer Sometimes freezes up and brings up the blue screen Cache Dump many times a day, and sometimes it doesn't lock up for hours.. I have done the process of elmination by removing all installed components except for the RAM, and it still crashes, so I assume its the RAM.. With that bieng said, I still feel that the Nforce410 with my AMD 64 3800+ is fast enough for what I need it for, and would like to know what brand of RAM is best for my system

Thanks and this is my first post/thread on this site, I hope to get some good intel..

Vista is not to blame for 'blowing up' your graphics card, the majority of people with the same card, that upgraded to vista, didn't have that problem, myself being one of them.

The best way to diagnose it is to hold the windows key on your keyboard and press R after installing the card obviously.

In the box type dxdiag -> click the Save all information button

I usually save to desktop so that I can delete the file easily afterwards.

attach the log here, by selecting the paperclip Icon in your reply.

something usually jumps out, monitor drivers my be generic since upgrade, graphics card may also have generic drivers. Your newer card may not work well with the generic drivers that windows assigns where the old card doesn't care.

Let me ask you this => Did you ever try going to conrol panel (make sure its on classic view) 1)do you have nvidia controls Icon? 2)did you try changing settings through there?

dxdiag

I ran this Dxdiag for you.. hope this helps... When I load up with the 8500, it only allows me 4bit graphics, and alot of the programs stop responding, such as rundll32, internet explorer, aim messenger.. anyway this 6600 is back in working fine with only the 8 series vista drivers from Nvidia.com
I do not have the Geforce tool bar in the Display advanced settings page where it usually is, but I fogot to check the Windows Classic view to see if it was in there..

If you are sure you have up to date drivers for it then the card may be defective as your monitor doesn't even show on there.

With the 8500 in there I am guessing it doesn't show anything under Start ->control panel-> device manager ->display adapters

So I did as you asked and I do see the 8500gt in the device manager, it says all drivers are up todate, but it also reads the following...

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

and when I searched farther I also got this report....

Description:
Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 12.

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\CofC2342\AppData\Local\Temp\DMI4C86.tmp.log.xml
C:\Windows\inf\oem2.inf

Read our privacy statement:
go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409[/url]

It does not show another Graphics device and when I rebooted with the Monitor cord plugged into the default motherbord port, it showed nothing, so I know the Mainbord device is disabled..

man this is a pain, hope you can help....

There are a few possible problems I see. I would throw down some money on it being a driver error, whether related to conflict or just a wrong version. you should have a driver from december of 2007 and it should be specifically for vista. My first guess would be that your system is still recognizing the XP drivers, even if it installed the Vista drivers thus causing conflict. Microsoft should write a fix for this with all the associated registry keys. There may be one, but I could not find it.

#1) You have the XP version drivers installed. Thats what your error code sounds like.
If this is the problem uninstall drivers and install Vista compatible drivers

#2)The files from your previous version are causing conflict. You need to remove those files

#3)Microsoft's Recommended Solution: You can use Device Manager to determine where the conflict is and disable the conflicting device. On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

#4)If you have a sound card try moving it to a PCI slot that is further from your graphics card.

#5) If none of the above work:
Judging by these files:
C:\Windows\inf\oem2.inf <-XP service pack 2 setup file
C:\Users\CofC2342\AppData\Local\Temp\DMI4C86.tmp.log.xml <- Temp file

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.

In "Which files to clean up" dialog > Click on "Files from all users on this computer".

Select the Drive where your Windows.old is.

In Disk Cleanup dialog, select Previous Windows installation(s) in the "Files to delete" list. Click on OK.

Then click on Start, type the following into the search bar

Code:
%temp%

look for this file to remove DMI4C86.tmp.log.xml

Deleting XP drivers?

I remember that when I installed Vista, I went in and cleared out my Windows.old and deleted the folder.. According to the Nvidia forums there is conflict either from the old drivers or my sound card, I romoved as many if not all Nvidia Drivers and creative labs drivers and removed the sound card.. This still changed nothing.. I also read somewhere about changing the IRQ in the BIOS, how will that help? With all creative and drivers removed it still claimed the Code12 no not enough free resources... How can I get in and where would I find these Old XP drivers? Thanks for all the help so far, I did the things you mentioned above and still no luck..

did you use these instructions for clearing up the old windows files. Would be nice if there was a microsoft article with the registry keys that need to be removed

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.

In "Which files to clean up" dialog > Click on "Files from all users on this computer".

Select the Drive where your Windows.old is.

In Disk Cleanup dialog, select Previous Windows installation(s) in the "Files to delete" list. Click on OK.

more efforts made

I see that it does not give me the option to select "all users on this computer" it only lets me select a Drive, then it shows the different folders in which it found some of the files (downloaded programs, recyclebin, temporaryinternet, offline webpages, temporary files, thumbnails, archived error files) are the only options I have.. willl those contain the Old Graphics Drivers?? I also used a DiscCleaner from the internet that allowed me to search for all Nvidia files and delete them, so I think I have wiped them out, but the only way to know is if I can get into the Drivers Folder and search for them.. is there a way to do that?? Oh and I see your from Tampa Bay! My favorite city in America, I have family in Clearwater... I am the biggest non-florida born Buccaneers fan in america...

Tampa is great. I was born and raised here. I actually work out of the Clearwater area

Click on the "more options" tab at the top of that screen.

Then cleanup button under system restore and shadow copies

This will remove any restore points except the most recent. It will also cleanup any backup images from XP that were saved as shadow copies.

The reason Vista saves it like this is in case you want to roll back to XP

BIOS Flash or Settings Change

Apparently the only chance I have, since I have cleared out all non-needed Files in my computer with the RegCure program, is to Change my BIOS settings to where I can select the Graphics card to use a different IRQ. Or I should Also Flash my BIOS, since my computer keeps crashing...

EVerytime my computer crashes, which is ususally in-game I get a blue screen with

Windows has stopped funtioning, blah blah
then it give me this Technical info:
***STOP: 0x00000124(0x00000000, 0x855b3028, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)
Collecting Data for Dump....
Initializing disk for crash dump...
Begin dump of physical memory....

Do these numbers mean anything to you?? Is this indicating that my RAM is causing it? I have the PNY3200 Samsung RAM, which according to the PNY RAM website is the best option for my NForce410 mainboard...
Any info on this will help me dramatically...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back