Visually impaired

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuCazz

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me out at least point me in the right direction.

I am currently disabled, and my eyesight is just terrible. Within firefox I had to set my default page color to dark gray and 16 point fonts bold. It works out nicely and makes it easier for me to read in extended lengths, and pretty annoying because I have to scroll more as if I increased the CTRL + way. But thats only with my browser. The accessibility option is XP is not very helpful, its huge with black not very legible. When I go to change appearances in Display, it only lets me do more or less the same. I need to be able to enlarge and darken within applications, such as office products, adobe, front page, etc. Everything is white background and black fonts, not good for everyone.

I'm hoping someone knows of or can personally recommend a software package or other, that would allow me to customize? Other than the built in attempts MS put in the OSs, I've been using this freeware magnifying glass thing called virtual magnifying glass. Which is fine, just for enlarging fonts and images, but the white which kills my eyes is just bigger. In addition I have to minimize it every time I need to scroll, pretty sad.

Please help anyone

thank you in advance : ),

StuCazz

Simplest way is to decrease screen resolution. XP's lowest is 800 x 600, but applications can be individually forced to work @ 640 x 480 via compatibility mode.

Other simplest way (this might sound crude) is to get a bigger display.

Regarding internet, my advice is to use IE7. it has magnifying feature in the lower-right corner. Goes up to 150% by simple clicking on it, up to predefined 400% by drop-down menu with an option of custom magnification.

btw, there is a way of changing the white in the text background. It is in display properties/apperance/advanced button. Just click on "Window text" and change the color by clicking on the button with a white square. Works on MS Word.

I tried that resolution actually, and although the increase of everything is what I want, I still am unable to change many sections from white. In display properties/appearance/advanced button I am able to change the active background, but cant make the active fonts any bigger. I'm able to change borders, but that doesn't do much.

I didn't know that about IE7 so I'll try that. As far as the other applications I'll have to deal as much as I can.

Thank you for your response, I definently needed to know at least about the IE7 feature.

Thanks again
SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back