VNC problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

5aq1b

Righty

I'm having problems accessing my home machine thourgh Real VNc. I am able to connect to my machine from other internal machines on the same network, but i can not connect from external (workplace).

The relevant ports have been opened and Windows firewall is disabled anyway.

When i do a "telnet <loopback or ipaddress> <port>" from home, i receive the "RFB 004.000" message, meaning the ports open and listening.

When i do that from work, i recive the message "Connection failed" and when I try and connect through VNC, i receive the "connection timed out (10060)" message.

Have checked with my ISP and they do not block any ports or any VNC traffic.

Also, Windows RDP works fine from work to home PC, through the relevant port.

Bit of a struggle here but can anybody help?

It may be that you have to set up your router to permit remote access. Are you connecting through a third party server such as Kaseya?

Unsure about the 3rd party server, not that i know of though.

re the router, how would i do that? I'm pretty certain it is because the relevant ports have been forwarded, and Windows remote desktop works from the same location.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

The router will not be involved in the control or facilitation of local area network remote access other than providing the IP addresses for each PC through DHCP.
External remote access calls and how the router handles them will vary from one make to another - some firewalls block them by default.
I have always used third party servers for remote access as it is more secure and easier to set up than VPNs. Kayesa is not free but dyndns on http://www.dyndns.com/?gclid=CI6UpdOjwI4CFQTclAod61fEyA is free.
You may also have to talk to the network admin at your workplace - perhaps their setup is blocking external links?

Right
I already have an account with dyndns as my ip is always changing, so i have it forwarded to username.dyndns.org

How do i setup the service which you are talking about?

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

there is an online manual on their site - so long since I have used it - but it is there somewhere. You could email them for their help - they used to be really good!

I'm struggling, i dont even know what i'm looking for on teh site or what the purpose of the 3rd party server is?

Sorry

You are not talking to an expert about this either, but I did get it to work. You install a remote access agent (which you get from dyndns) ont the target machine and it logs on to your account at the dyndns server. You then log onto your account on the dyndns machine from a master agent on your host machine and this shows you that your client machine is active and logged on. You can then log on to that machine and the software you use to remote control the client can be, for example vnc.

Cheers but sorry to be a pain, but the only free service i see on their site is the ip address forwarding?

Right ok,
I take it you're on about the ip forwarding tool. My isp offers a dynamic ip address, so i registerd a dyndns name last year. Been using this for a while but cant see how this resolves the issue

Make sure you router have this feature built-in as you won't need the software that keeps your account open for dyndns. Thirdparty software would have to run as a service for best results. Only do it this way if the router doesn't have the dyndns feature. Most dlink routers have this feature.

AlbertLionheart said:
The router will not be involved in the control or facilitation of local area network remote access other than providing the IP addresses for each PC through DHCP.
External remote access calls and how the router handles them will vary from one make to another - some firewalls block them by default.
The router is very much involved. The public address of the system(s) is the other issue.
1) public ip-address
dyndns is a great tool to solve the question: "what is my public ip-address?"
If you have a registered domain name, or have purchased a static ip from your
ISP, then this is a non-issue. However, most of us are just end-users to some ISP
and have their DHCP asssign us an address from the available pool of addresses.
Uck! This is a moving target (ie it can change from time to time) and VNC
can't find our system. dyndns solves that issue by mapping our names to the
currently assigned DHCP address from our ISP.​
2) traversing the router
Our router NAT feature maps our lan addresses to/from our WAN (public) address. IF we attempt a VNC connection from:
Code:
our.system--->our.router--- .... --->target.system
then we traverse the router via the client outbound connection process
(ie this is a normal function of NAT routers)

On the other hand, attempting a connection from work back to our home system
Code:
our.system<---our.router<--- ... ----our.commercial.workstation
our router will block the connection, as that's what it is designed to do! So, depending upon the VNC software we are using,
we must port forward the VNC port(s) to the lan address of our.system.

"telnet <loopback or ipaddress> <port>" from home,
this is not the same as running it outside your modem/router/system, as
when running from your LAN addresses, it shows that the port is active but
not that it can be accessed externally, eg from work.

your firewall or router is suspect here. yea you said it was disabled, but more
than one person as discovered that disable or shutdown is not adequate to
allow all access.

go ahead and enable the firewall and config it to allow traffic on the vnc ports
allow in/out tcp/udp from=any dest port (x-z)​

Remove Real VNC and install Ultra VNC instead also free and more stable. That uses Java client loader works better. I've used it to connect remotely via cruise ship to SAT to the mainland then back to my network at home that worked perfect. Again I was using the default ports though 5000 to 5900. Make sure you port forward ports or open them up on the system you want to connect too.

Help me!!!

I've done all the port forwarding things. 5500, 5800 and 5900. I also did the dyndns registration and installed the dyndns updater thing and that works fine and also did the test from the dyndns site. What do I type in the viewer window to connect to my pc from my office? and if I have more than one pc on my home network how do I specify witch one to connect to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back