Voice Chat on MS Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonNagual

I am living in Japan, and was using the voice chat for MS Messenger to talk with friends / family back home all the time, since it is free for PC to PC. Then I bought my new computer, and now I can't seem to get it working anymore!

Anyone have any ideas on why I can't get it working? I have gone into the audio setup wizard within messenger, and I can hear sounds, and my mic is working according to the wizard. But when I go to connect to a friend, it says that they cannot connect to my computer.

Could it be my modem? I am on DSL. I have no idea what type of network the connection uses, nor can I find out as all the documentation is in Japanese.... any easy ways to tell if it is my internet connection that is the problem? Nat protocol etc.

I have everything I need, mic, speakers etc. The sound card is a built in one, but that shouldn't be the problem, I don't think. The MB is the Asus A7V600.

I am able to connect to things like TeamSpeak for gaming, no problem at all......

Help!:eek:

No, my friends can not hear me
No, I haven't installed any firewalls recently, however I have recently switched to XP from Me.

Am I behind NAT. Well, that is my guess as well after reading some of microsofts support pages. I have no idea if I am behind a NAT or anythinglike that. I live in Japan, and all the support is in Japanese only. Any ideas on how I can find out?

Thanks for your responses all, appreciated.

hmm i'm no big fan of windows Xp but I know it contains a built-in firewall. maybe it's enabled ?

check it by going to control panel > network connections > choose your connection, right click on it > properties

then advances tab, you should see the firewall check box ... if it's checked, try unchecking that.

my 2 cents.

Nope. I haven't changed it, same DSL modem I have had for over a year now. It could be the XP firewall. It was turned on, and I just turned it off now. We'll see if that fixes it (with the time difference no friends are awake now for me to test).

Cheers all!

Alright, I turned off the XP firewall, and no change. Still can not connect.

Also, I have a friend here in Japan who also uses the same ISP as me, and has the same modem. He CAN use voice chat on MSN no problem! So it is not NAT or anything like that....

So it MUST be something to do with my new computer. Anyone have ANY ideas? I am at a loss on this one...

Giving myself a little bump here......

Anyone have any ideas? It would save me a LOT of long distance charges if I can use MSN voice chat. I know we have some geniouses in here, show yourselves! :D

I saw this thread as I was searching the net. I have the same problem as DonNagual described. I am hoping someone has solved it.

I used 98 before and voice worked ok. Early this year I changed to XP and DSL (at the same time) and since then I have been unable to use voice over Messenger even though I can send and receive video.

That was before SP2 and the XP firewall it added. I have tried shutting down ZoneAlarm and also uninstalled it completely for a test. No luck.

Voice Chat Messenger

I use the voice chat option on messenger frequently. The last time mine quit working I had to re-run the audio tuning wizard in messenger. You will find that under the tools section in the main messenger box. Hope this helps good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't really expect much. I know this must be a fairly obscure problem. It doesn't look like the last guy was able to find the answer either.

I've been through the wizard about 20 times with various people. I've shut down firewalls and even uninstalled the firewall software. I've uninstalled and reinstalled MSN.

If this turns out to be a simple setting found from a main level menu, I will send that person $40.

MSN Messenger is a pain, but potentially very cool...

been looking for a solution to my problem, which is when chatting on MSN 7 with someone, I will miss the beggining and end of what the person is saying and hear what could be be termed a "digital whipsery" type of sound. Quite annoying, and I'm saying 'What?' way too much.

My comment on the lack of connectivity issue. Does anyone know if MSN uses UDP for the voice packets? That would answer a lot of these questions probably, because I know a lot of ISP's like to block UDP everywhere and not tell anyone about it.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back