Volts are low, im crashing out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have placed this here as im unsure of what the problem is!

When i start a game my PC freezes and i have to hard reset. All drivers and Directx are up to date. I checked my BIOS and my probe software to see that my 3.3v was only at 2.8v - 3.1v, is this ok? Its stopped crashing now but the probe still picks this low voltage out as a fault. My power supply is a 550watt and is quite new. Can this be due to anything else please?

Thanks in advance.

assuming your chip is accurate (I wouldn't bet my life on a $.05 chip) that would be low and could cause problems. Even a $10 RadioShack multimeter would give you more accurate readings than your MBM. I've had two different Antec PSs die on me this year. They were both Antec True Power types. One was a 380W and the other was a 480W. Both failed the same way. 5V sould drop below 4.7 and the system would crash. I have an old Antec 350W that is still doing fine and has served well being on 24/7 for years. I replaced the crappy ones with an Enermax 550W.

Or it could be something totally unrelated like drivers, vid card, or heat. It's all voodoo and witchcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back