Volvo restricting top speed of all its new cars to 112mph

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Volvo vehicles have a reputation for their focus on driver and passenger safety. As such, the company is set to introduce a new feature that should reduce the number of traffic accidents they're involved in. From 2020, all new Volvo cars will have their top speeds limited to 112mph (180km/h).

The move is part of Volvo’s Vision 2020 initiative—a vision that by 2020, no one should be killed or seriously injured in a new Volvo car.

The company said the electronic restriction would apply to all cars made from the middle of next year, but there will be some special exceptions where this won’t be implemented, such as in police vehicles.

The speed limit won’t apply to Volvo’s new electric performance sub-brand, Polestar, either. Volvo revealed the Polestar 2 last week—a fully electric vehicle that can do 0 to 62mph in under five seconds, making it a rival to the Tesla Model 3.

This is believed to be the first time an auto manufacturer has electronically restricted the speed of its entire line of cars. 112mph is still much higher than most countries' speed limits, which range between 70 to 85 mph. Even Germany’s no-limit Autobahns could see a 130km/h restriction introduced at some point in the future.

Twenty-five percent of all traffic fatalities in the United States in 2017 came as a result of speeding, according to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), but it’s unclear how much effect Volvo’s restriction would have on these figures. A big part of the problem stems from the popularity of SUVs, which not only have more horsepower than typical cars but can also inflict more serious injuries on pedestrians.

“While a speed limitation is not a cure-all, it’s worth doing if we can even save one life. We want to start a conversation about whether carmakers have the right or maybe even an obligation to install technology in cars that changes their driver’s behavior,” said Håkan Samuelsson, Volvo’s president and chief executive, said.

Additionally, Volvo is looking at ways to geofence its vehicles so their speed limits can be automatically restricted while traveling near schools and hospitals.

Permalink to story.

AND this will do absolutely nothing. The vast majority of auto accident fatalities take place within 10MPH of the speed limit.

People driving without their seatbelt, using their phone, or driving while otherwise distracted cause the vast majority of fatalities. If Volvo want to make sure nobody ever dies in their cars, the only way to accomplish this is for Volvo to stop selling cars altogether.

People need to accept you are driving at highway speeds, far faster then the human body was ever meant to move in nature, and an accident at that speed is very likely to injure you no matter what you are driving. Driving is a dangerous activity, and people just seem to forget that.

They could save so many more lives by not making any cars at all. It seems fruitless where I live, to place such a speed restriction. With all the traffic now, I wish there were space to reach 112 mph!

As a competent adult, no one needs to control the speed of my vehicle but me. If I bought and paid for the car, they shouldn't restrict it to the point that I'd have to purchase something to unlock its performance. What road/track/private drive I operate my vehicle on is none of their business. How I choose to drive is none of their business.

Last edited:
I mean the only thing that will happen is people who want to drive cars fast, won't buy them. Thus the dangerous drivers will be eliminated. But not the bad drivers.

I like that they are standing for something, but they could be doing way more if they want to actually save lives with cars (like as if you do not put a seat belt on, the car won't start).

Also if you are driving 113 mph and you hit a car that is going 100 mph, you are most likely dead if you had your seatbelt on! I don't know why but I have a feeling that people who aren't real commuting drivers, or on the road all the time, are in their marketing team. Probably not, but that is just a weird solution to their plan.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Who's not dying in a 112mph crash? I'd wager you'll more often than not die from a much lower speed collision.

Nanny state at it's finest.
Who will this save? Nobody, absolutely nobody.

This is just a PR exercise. Seriously folks, not that many people have an opportunity to do over 112mph due to the level of traffic. Out in the sticks where there are few if any hazards or traffic hardly anyone crashes and dies. As stated above, bad driving kills, not speed.

"A big part of the problem stems from the popularity of SUVs, which not only have more horsepower than typical cars.................."

Sorry peeps. More horsepower does not always equate to more speed. The problem with SUVs is that they are badly designed with a higher center of gravity and flip over too easily. If the fashion was for lower cars rather than higher ones this wouldn't happen.

This is definitely PR speak. Vehicle safety is getting better every year and therefore tbh there will be a point in which speeds of 100mph will be much lower risk. If you really want to become informed check out the safety standards being implemented in various higher speed production vehicles. Some of them have rollcages designed right into the infrastructure of the vehicle.

As others have stated already many manufacturers have governers in place already and there are companies out there that make work around modules so if someone wants to get over that speed they can anyway. Sure, it may deter some, but if you want it you will get it with your vehicle. Case in point is my 2007 Yaris. I installed a module and can go over the 118mph ECU limiter.

Why not make it a Law to limit my cars speed?

I will ignore that Law too!

If you think DRM and Copyrights give you control over what I can do in my car, think again!

I ain't listenin Dagnibbit

Last edited:
How about a system where you need to get a permit (from a body that individually judges each application) to operate a vehicle heavier than 4000 lbs. That could put an end to people driving pickup trucks and SUVs who have no practical use for them. The damage a vehicle does is speed x weight. A 6000 lb. Cadillac Escalade hits with almost twice the impact of a normal sedan at the same speed.

99.99% of accidents don't occur at 100mph+, so a pathetic nanny state response from Volvo. Why don't they push for stricter licensing standards. At least half the people on the roads are morons and it defies belief they have a license.

Lol, look at you sheeple.

I was out for a Sunday drive with the family, cruising at a modest 112mph in my Volvo, when out of nowhere a car going 45 (the "speed limit" lol) appeared out of nowhere in my lane, some people shouldn't be allowed to drive. Welp, at least I survived. Thanks, Volvo!

They need to restrict the speeds of 18-wheelers, and by GPS if necessary. Embedded radar to slow them down when they're tailgating too.

Back