Voodoo 3 lock-up problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

chembrouk

My comp. keeps locking in 3d games, it doesn't matter what driver mode the game is running in , I have seen it crash in Glide 3x and OpenGL, the game that locks the most is HL: counter-strike, and it's running in OpenGL, with the 3dfx mini driver,
I have tried it under 3 O/S, Windows ME, 2k and XP, but always get the same lock-up.

It locks solid and cannot be closed by ctrl+alt+del and requires a reboot, the machine HAS ran fine with a voodoo 3 and the same drivers under Win98se but has been reformatted many times since then.

I have tried to reformat again but get the same problems.

Any ideas why it doesn't work?

PC Specs:

AMD 800Mhz Duron
384 mb or ram
Gigabyte mobo
Voodoo 3 2000 pci
dual-boot: Win ME and 2k (service pack 2)

a few things to try:

-motherboard drivers

-Direct X settings

-Bios settings (AGP aperature size, AGP transfer rate...)

-Power supply rating

Check out a few of these things and just make sure everything is perfect. I bet something sits in the bios that needs to be changed.

My guess is you have IRQ conflicts. Even though win2000 can handle IRQ sharing you may still have trouble. If you use win98 and I'm guessing, winME, and you have IRQ conflicts, you'll have to move your pci cards around until you no longer have a conflict. Once you find the right combination, it should also run perfect in win2000.

You said Glide or OpenGL. What about Direct X (or am I just an ***** and Voodoos don't support it?)?

Oops. Here's your mistake. You said it worked fine WITH THE SAME DRIVERS under Windows 98SE. You're using Windows 98 drivers, not Windows ME, 2k and XP drivers. Reinstall them for your OS, namely from voodoofiles.com.

Yes, do try alternating PCI slots.

drivers

The drivers are specific for both win2k and winME, soz I should have mentioned that :)
How do I see iof IRQs are conflicting in WinME?, I have changed the cards round but cannot see the IRQ settings

I've never used winME so it might be different or may be it's close enough to win98. Here I go: Go to control panel - system - device manager - double click on My Computer. That should list all the parts that are using IRQs.

irq conflicts

Thanks erwin, the directions were correct,
The voodoo3 seems to be sharing IRQ 10 with the ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering, would this cause the problem, is there a way to give each device a seperate IRQ??

Any device can share the same IRQ with the PCI IRQ steering. If that's all the sharing that you see then the problem lies somewhere else. But if you must know, you can change the way the OS assigns IRQ to devices by putting them in different pci slots or changing settings in the bios.

which s/card are you using,i used to have voodoo3 3000 it would not work with my s/blaster 1024 just kep locking.i took it out and all probs went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back