Vpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

Hi there, I'm trying to set my home computer up for remote access with a VPN but the instructions I received from a friend were vague and unhelpful. I'm running Windows XP Home on this computer which I hope won't be a problem. I know how to connect to a remote computer but I'm not sure if you have to be running XP Pro on the computer that you connect to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Jon

Where is this remote computer located physically? There are many ways to connect to a remote computer, and VPN is one of the less used ways... Are you in a college dorm or something?

Look at this:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/vpn/ht/newvpnwindowsxp.htm

Take special care to key the VPN server name/IP address data correctly. The Windows XP wizard does not automatically validate this server information...

I've already read through that guide and it's for connecting to a vpn that' already in place. What I'm trying to do is create a vpn server at my house so that I can connect to my desktop computer when I'm at school or work or anything like that. Although if you have a recommendation for a better way to do this I'd be happy to hear it.

I'll give you a quick and cheap (free) way to do it..
logmein.com, it is abslutely the best thing in remote computing I've seen lately. The only requirement is internet access and a browser which I think you can cover.. right?

If you do decide to use remote controlling, I can confirm that LogMeIn is pretty cool. You can control a remote PC as if you were sitting in front of it.

My brother used it to change my screensaver when he was on a trip halfway across the country. I nearly had a cow. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back