vpu recovers, infinite loops, lockups and hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Computer specs:

Motherboard : Asus P5gd1 Pro
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz with HT (LGA 775/ 800 FSB)
Memory : 2 Kingmax 1GB DDR-400 Long-DIMM Super RAM Series (Dual Channel)
Graphics Card : Asus AX300SE-X/TD (128MB)
Sound Card : Integrated Realtek High Definition Audio ALC861
Network Card : Integrated Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
Optical Drive : Sony DRU-810A
Hard Disk : Western Digital 120GB SATA 7200RPM
Power Supply : Magnistar 400 Watt
DirectX Version : 9.0c
Bios Version : 1012
Catalyst Driver : Asus v8.183, Asus Enhanced v1.22
Audio Driver : 5.10.00.5192
Operating System : Windows XP SP2 with all the lastest updates

My Problem :(VPU Recover On)Whenever i play a game, about 5 minutes to 1 hour into the game, the game will hang and the screen will turn black for few seconds. When it recovers, the graphics will be like pieces of blocks, but can continue Windows as usual, but i cannot use 3d application(will show the last screen b4 the error occurs), watch movies(turn black and can only listen to the audio ) anymore until i restart.

(VPU Recover Off) Like above. But when the hang occur, it will hang there 4ever until i restart the computer using the button(casing).

Games tested(problem unless stated): Warcraft 3 TFT v1.20
Deus Ex - Invisible War v.12
Perimeter v1.0
GTA: San Andreas v1.0
The Movies v1.0
Rome Total War Babarian Invasion v1.3, v1.4
Star Wars Republic Commando v1.0
Prince of Persia The Sands of Time v1.0

Special Cases : GTA: San Andreas v1.0-- When the problem occur, I will experience a blackout. Afterwards, I can still continue playing the game.
The Movies v1.0 -- I seem to have no problem playing it.(strange)

Notes: I started experiencing the problem after an updating spree. Maybe gotta tweak the bios abit. Coz after updating the bios i set everything to defaults. Anyway, please advise.

Since you mentioned that this started after an updating spree :), try reverting to the videocard drivers you had installed before updating, or try the new 5.12, and see if that helps.

Also if you flashed a new BIOS, it could well be that it's the cause of this new instability, try flashing it back.

Also, try turning fastwrites off - frequently known to cause problems such as this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back