VR headsets have their best quarter ever, ship one million units in Q3

midian182

Staff member

It’s no secret that virtual reality headsets have struggled to break into the mainstream since they launched, partly because of their restrictive price tags. But according to a report from Canalys, that’s no longer the case. For the first time ever, one million VR headset units were sold in a single quarter.

Sales of the devices have been growing recently, culminating in a record-breaking third quarter. Sony’s PlayStation VR led the way with 49 percent of all VR sales during this period, shifting about 490,000 units. Facebook’s Oculus Rift was in second place with 210,000 units sold, while HTC’s Vive came in third after moving 160,000 of the headsets.

Unsurprisingly, Canalys puts most of this success down to price cuts. The Rift fell from $599 to $399, while the cost of the Vive dropped from $799 to $599. And although the PlayStation VR’s price remained at $399, Sony wisely started to offer the headset with the PS camera included—a necessity that had previously been sold separately.

“VR adoption in the consumer segment is highly dependent on price, and Oculus’ strategy of lowering prices has definitely helped drive adoption,” said Canalys research analyst Vincent Thielke.

While the third quarter results are great news for all those involved in the virtual reality industry, the future looks even brighter. Not only is the amount of available VR content increasing, but Oculus and HTC are also releasing their cheaper, standalone headsets: The Oculus Go and HTC Vive Focus.

Additionally, Canalys predicts that the VR market will get another boost in 2018 when PC vendors such as HP, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, and Dell launch headsets supporting Microsoft’s Windows Mixed Reality platform. It may have taken longer than expected, but it seems that virtual reality is finally becoming popular.

Permalink to story.

Guilty as charged - picked up one for my PS4 over the weekend (black Friday/Cyber Monday sale) - haven't had time to try it yet.

Guilty as charged - picked up one for my PS4 over the weekend (black Friday/Cyber Monday sale) - haven't had time to try it yet.

Hmm, can I ask you why? I can't really see the reasoning behind purchasing buying the PSVR headset as it has the smallest library of games of any of the headsets. I was thinking about picking it up on black friday as well but just couldn't justify it.

Hmm, can I ask you why? I can't really see the reasoning behind purchasing buying the PSVR headset as it has the smallest library of games of any of the headsets. I was thinking about picking it up on black friday as well but just couldn't justify it.
Still too expensive for me to justify, too!

I just got a Rift, it was on sale $350 with two cameras and the controllers. Really a good deal. My only gripe is low resolution but when the headset is cheaper than a nice gaming monitor and you get real 3D, immersion, and the feelIng of presence it’s hard to say no.

I just got a Rift, it was on sale $350 with two cameras and the controllers. Really a good deal. My only gripe is low resolution but when the headset is cheaper than a nice gaming monitor and you get real 3D, immersion, and the feelIng of presence it’s hard to say no.

Almost every time I put my Vive on I think to myself, "yeah, I really wish the resolution was a bit higher". Then within 5 minutes I'm lost in the world and my brain doesn't notice the pixels anymore. It's weird what your visual system can get used to and filter out. I love it.

Also great is the fact that VR game libraries are really starting to get fleshed out now. Recently bought Heart of the Emberstone, Arizona Sunshine, and the Talos Principle VR on sale and am having a blast with them!

Price and the other half (my girlfriend plays on the PS4 more than I do and loves the horror games). The package from Game came in at £250 including camera and elder scrolls and the ps plus subscription included rush of blood last month. So whilst still pricey it was just at the edge of what I had previously said I would pay for one (£200).

Ditto, but it's an Xmas present for the family. Came with Skyrim VR and the camera. Great deal ! ($438 NZD)

Back