vsmon.exe is completely sucking up all my CPU - possible worm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

murray_girl

Okay, I've been doing numerous things to figure out why my computer suddenly slowed down to a twentieth of it's former speed. It was suggested, after a million other AV, spyware, malware, etc programs that I check my task manager to see what processes were running on my PC. At a time when my CPU was 100%, a process called vsmon.exe was sucking up 97%!

I googled and found that vsmon.exe is a legitimate process for ZoneLabs products (ZoneAlarm, etc) but I DON'T HAVE ZONELABS. My main AV and firewall are EZ, made by CA (computer associates). What the heck? Why is this on my computer and how the heck can I get it off? I tried ending the process within taskmanager and my access was denied.

So, I am 98% sure that this process should NOT be running on my computer. At the very least, even if it should be there, I KNOW it should not be using up that much CPU. I'm attaching my newest HJT log. Anyone else know anything about vsmon.exe and what I should do about it?

I`m not an expert HJT reader,but just on a casual reading I found this -

O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

I`ve googled and apparently the EZ Firewall uses parts of Zone alarm Firewall.Try uninstalling EZ and installing Zone Alarm.Accept no substitutes. Sygate is another alternative.

problems with unistall

My internet service is from Time Warner Cable. About 8 months ago, they sent out info to all subscribers that they had partnered up with EZ and provided us with a free firewall, antivirus, spam control, etc etc. So, of course, I took it. I tried to follow your advice and uninstall EZ, but everytime, the "uninstall was not successful." Thats it, no explanation, no help tab, nothing. So I was dinking around with EZ and realized that I don't have the latest version installed. So I went to their website and tried to upgrade, but they won't allow that because "I'm not a customer." WTF? How do I get this off my computer? Any suggestions?

Download the Zone alarm or Sygate install files BEFORE uninstalling EZ.You don`t want to go on the internet even for a few seconds without a firewall.
Temporarily re-enabling Windows Firewall would be an alternative.

It worked! It worked!

I was FINALLY able to uninstall EZ Armor Suite. I'm using AVG for my AV for a trial period until I decide on something better (any suggestions?) and I got Zone Labs free ZoneAlarm firewall. So, the vsmon.exe is back, but NOT sucking up my CPU. Downloads have gone from 80 kb to 800 kb (thank god!), windows itself is operating much much faster, even shaved off ten minutes from my ewido scan time!

As I'm typing this, I'm even listening to windows media player, which I haven't been able to do in a month!

Thank you, thank you, thank you - and to Howard too, from my previous posts. If you hadn't told me to watch my CPU processes, I wouldn't have discovered this. Oh, and I was also able to finally run the HouseCall that you suggested, and it found about ten minor threats and had them deleted. Thanks again!

My final word on vsmon.exe? I don't like it. I don't like EZ. I frankly don't like Time Warner Road Runner for giving it to me. I'm finding something better on my own, corporate jerks.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back