Want to replace my motherboard, processor, and ram need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

awsskater892

Hi, I want to update my system. Im hoping to get a new motherboard, processor, and ram. im hoping for the ram to be 2048mb and the processor to be around 2.4ghz. also if the videocard could be agp on the motherboard that would be great, because I have an atx x800 xt and just got it a while back and it was very expensive, but if I need to replace that I could just sell it on ebay. I posted some screen shots at the bottem (from cpuz) so you can see evry detail about my pc. thanks so much -Nick

Attachments

• mycpu.jpg
    mycpu.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 5
  • mymainboard.jpg
    mymainboard.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 5
you have another post stating that you want to get another socket-754 processor for you existing motherboard.

now this post states that you want to get a new mobo too?

honestly I would not suggest getting another processor for a socket-754 system because it will still be bottlenecked by the slower hypertransport bus and single channel ram.

if you still want to use your AGP card and still have the ability to uprade to PCI-E in the future, consider this mobo I used it myself until a month ago and it worked great. and it has gotten very good reviews. it also lets you upgrade to AM2 when it eventually is worth it to do so (i.e. K8L)

great mobo like her said, its the one im using in my gaming rig currently :). the SATA2 port is a little bit troublesome for me though. great sound though

2.4ghz processor? Isnt that a bit slow? May be worth going for at least 3ghz.

Regards,

Korrupt

2.4GHz is slow for a pentium, but it's fast on an Athlon64.

Athlon64s perform better than Pentium4s even when clocked much lower

a 2.4GHz socket-939/AM2 athlon64 performs better than a 3GHz pentium4

I still need help finding a motherboard, I would like it to be pci express and agp, be able to take 4gb of ram, (by the way, what is the best type of ram, like fastest, because im pritty sure that ddr and ddr 400 are both sumwhat obselete, and arnt as faster as the newer types. So basically it needs to beable to have a agp and pci videocard slots, use upto 4gb ram, hopefully a 939 socket, and i wanna use a 2.4ghz athlon 64 on it. also i really dont want to spend over 200 on it. thanks

your welcome :)

honestly that asrock mobo is a great mobo, and you can't get better features and expandability for that price! the only reason that I don't use it anymore is because I accidentally drilled a hole trough it :eek: (that'll teach me to stop being so freakin lazy and to remove the mobo next time before modding the case... haha :D). and just because i get board with things very fast, i bought a different mobo, but I never had any problems with that mobo, and i used both AGP and PCI-E on it, they both worked great.

and BTW, that is the only motherboard that I know of that has a native PCI-E x 16 slot and a native AGP8X slot as well. all other mobos that i have seen with PCI-E and AGP use a PCI bridge for the AGP slot which severely bottlenecks the AGP card with the ultra slow PCI interface.

sheesh, I must type really slow, you already had another post when i fishished the last one!

awsskater892 said:
I still need help finding a motherboard, I would like it to be pci express and agp, be able to take 4gb of ram, (by the way, what is the best type of ram, like fastest, because im pritty sure that ddr and ddr 400 are both sumwhat obselete, and arnt as faster as the newer types. So basically it needs to beable to have a agp and pci videocard slots, use upto 4gb ram, hopefully a 939 socket, and i wanna use a 2.4ghz athlon 64 on it. also i really dont want to spend over 200 on it. thanks
well again the asrock 939Dual-SATAII does everything you just mentioned... and more. and for a lot le$$ than $200!

like i said in my last post, the ASRock 939Dual-SATAII motherboard is the only one I know of that has a full speed native PCI-Ex16 slot, and a full speed native AGP8X slot.

and there is absolutely no need whatsoever to get 4GB of RAM, you will never ever use that much. even now days 512MB is more than enough for most people, and 1GB is enough for most gamers. if you still want more, than 2GB is plenty (just get 2 1GB sticks, don't use all 4 slots, because most mobos will downclock the RAM speed when all slots are filled up.

and faster isn't always better when it comes to RAM. DDR400 is the fastest RAM speed for socket-939 systems (unless you overclock the bus). AM2 systems use DDR2 which has faster RAM speeds, but loose timings. DDR400 can operate with very tight timings which still allow it to perform very good, and in some cases even better than faster DDR2 ram.

oh, ok. thanks. So now theres still the part of buying a processor/cpu. since i saved alot on the motherboard, what should i do for it, dont wanna go over 150$

awsskater892 said:
ok ok fine youve convinced me, but if its so good, then why is it so cheap?
its cheap for a few reasons..

1. ASRock is owned by ASUS. the ASRock branded mobos are designed by ASUS, but they don't actually build them, ECS does. but they build them to whatever specs ASUS tells them to.

2. it uses a ULI northbridge (and southbridge) chipset instead of the Nvidia nForce4 chipset (BTW, Nvidia owns ULI too)

3. the board doesn't come with all the extras that expensive boards come with, such as programs, tons of cables, etc. (that everybody already has a ton if anyways)

4. the board does not support SLI or Crossfire (you can run up to 3 video cards simaltaneously with that mobo (which can run up to 6 monitors), but that only allows multi-monitors, not linked video cards.

5. the ALPHA and BETA testing is not too thorough, there are a few quirks but they are quick to fix them with updated BIOS fixes. they seem to release a new BIOS version every week or so... haha :D but it's usually for just some stupid little problem that won't even effect you.

6. and last but not least, you aren't paying for the expensive brand name that designed it :)

awsskater892 said:
oh, ok. thanks. So now theres still the part of buying a processor/cpu. since i saved alot on the motherboard, what should i do for it, dont wanna go over 150$
that's up to you.

the 3800+ that you linked is a good CPU for the price. the san diago cores have twice the L2 chache of the venice models, but the price jumps up quite a bit as well.

(FYI you can overclock a $90 venice 3000+ up to 3800+ speeds, but that's not for everybody, just something else to consider)

Sounds good, but are you saying i wont be able to use multimonitors on my ati x800xt videocard? because i could not edit with out it.

sure you can, it won't effect dual outputs on a single card.

i was just stating that you cannot link cards together to distribute the workload like SLI or Crossifire. but you don't have the hardware to run that anyways. so don't worry about it.

awsskater892 said:
Sounds good, but are you saying i wont be able to use multimonitors on my ati x800xt videocard? because i could not edit with out it.

You could use the multi monitor support yes. What Cody is saying is that, this board does not support features such as SLi or Crossfire, which utilize two video cards for one monitor.

awsskater892 said:
ooh ok. So that processor looks good right? like will it all work good together.
Yes, that 3800 will work fine. And it should be a very good performer as well.

Also, now can you help me find ram? This seems like the hardest thing to do sofar because i really dont have much left to spend on it. 1gb will be fine for now.

i see no problems with it. it's on the CPU support list

I recently built a rig for my brother-in-law using that mobo and a 3700+ san diego, he loves it. and i used a venice 3000+ in mine, which worked great as well.

awsskater892 said:
Also, now can you help me find ram? This seems like the hardest thing to do sofar because i really dont have much left to spend on it. 1gb will be fine for now.
what do you have for RAM now? you may be able to reuse it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back