Wanting to install Linux SUSE 10 thats out now, but have ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surkitz

ok first, i read the sticky from a while back explaining how to go through the install but i have tried to digest so much info over the past 2 days my brain is about to explode. I followed some of the links to the linux sites and after many hours of reading the benefits of several, i decided on SUSE 10.0 And ill put my questions in a number order that way you can easily see my ?'s and answer them without having to go through it in a paragraph only to reread it. Here goes.....

1: can I/should I use FDISK to make a partition set aside for this linux O/S. Ive heard of partition magic, but i dont have it, and quite frankly dont want to spend the dough on it. i DO have FDISK.

2: if i can use FDISK, can I just add to what partitions i already have on my drive? btw(i already have a small partition of 4 gigs set aside for back up of my xp os with basic stuff in case something takes a dump on me. This came with my comp; the company did this for me and id like to keep it).

3: on their websites they say you can make an ISO image to a cd yada yada, fine. Do i have to? can i just use a single dvd instead of 5 cds? If im putting it on the hard drive do i need to even do this image thing?

4: this should have been ? #3 but anyways, can i use any FDISK version?

thanks for any replies and help

Im excited about trying this but its hard decifering the process of getting off on the right foot.

The SuSE installer contains its own partitioning utility, no need for fdisk. SuSE 9.3 had the ability to resize Windows partitions, so I'd think SuSE 10 can do that too.
I always use a dedicated partitioning utility though - have had a couple of times when the Linux installer screwed up the partition table.

No need to make the CDs. The DVD is bootable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back