Warcraft 3 and Vista Premium, crashes, not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ph30nIX

Hey guys,

I cannot for the life of me get Warcraft 3 (the frozen throne) working on my vista laptop. I have installed the game, latest patches and also made sure my laptop is fully up to date.

I have scoured google for hours, and seen such suggestions as running as admin and running under XP or Win2000 Compatibility, to no avail. I have seen other suggestions such as copying folder to desktop, which actually I did with my Diablo 2 installation by accident which caused it to work, however no luck.

So far the problem is that the War3:FT Splash screen appears, after about 10 seconds or so (this varies) the computer just freezes and locks up. Causing me to have to hold the power button.

I have also checked the event viewer and there are entries related to the application crashing but alot of the information isnt useful unless someone can decode it. I am willing to find it and post if someone knows what they are looking for.

apparently the game is supposed to run in compatibility mode, which has been tested on vista ultimate to work fine, but have not heard of anything in premium or basic.

Hopefully someone can share some fresh ideas for me and I would love to play not confined to my desktop pc.

Cheers,
Nic O.

Go to the WC 3 .exe file and right click on it, then go it it's properties. In the compatibilty tab check the boxes that say 'run as admin' 'disable desktop composition' and run it in compatibilty for XP and see what happens

No joy, I had already put on Admin settings and compatibility for all the .exe's in the folder just to be sure. The disable desktop composition setting didnt work. I have a Mobility Radeon x1400, which should be fine as it can play CS source and half life 2 without difficulties. I will try in safe mode, though I doubt that will have much affect, does anyone else have any ideas they could share?

Cheers,
Nic

hmm, wouldn't know what else to do besides look around with google or ditch vista, when i was running it and something wouldn't work for me that usually fixed it

Just to let you know, I fixed this using a No-CD Loader (though this is not condoned here) Warcraft3 is not supported on higher resolutions and high settings in vista and causes textures to be missing etc.

No clue. My Warcraft 3 works just fine on Vista. No problems at all at max settings... although max settings in Warcraft 3 isn't all that impressive. ;)

Pretty much whenever I have a problem with a program in Vista, either running in administrator, or sometimes, as with HL2: Episode 1, not running in administrator fixes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back