Warning!! Do Not Upgrade from IE6 to IE7 Beta 3!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

almcneil

I was just working on a customer's comp and discovered what was causing his IE problems. We had performed an XP repair installation which reverts IE back to IE6. I then downloaded Windows updates which included the latest IE7 Beta 3. It failed to install and messed up his IE6! I searched on the Internet and found that many others have found this problem. It's OK if you upgrading from IE7 Beta 2 (or Beta 1) but not from IE6.

Just a warning until the clowns at Microsoft figure out their mistake.

I dont quite understand your talk about IE7 betas - there has been a complete release of IE7 some months back, and apart from two security patches, May and June patch Tuesday, it has been fine. You may have missed the proper IE7 issue, in which case upgrading IE6 to a beta of IE7 could easily go wrong.

gbhall said:
I dont quite understand your talk about IE7 betas - there has been a complete release of IE7 some months back, and apart from two security patches, May and June patch Tuesday, it has been fine. You may have missed the proper IE7 issue, in which case upgrading IE6 to a beta of IE7 could easily go wrong.

Actually, my mistake then! I'm soooooo confused!!

I was working on a customer comp in which we did an XP repair installation. When I downloaded and installed the IE7 upgrade, it didn't install. When we restarted, his IE6 wouldn't work. I did a web search and I found multiple posts on the Internet about IE7 Beta 3 having serious installation issues. I presumed that it was a Beta 3 release since it was listed as "optional" at the Windows Update web site.

My goof! I'll have to figure out what's really wrong on my customer's comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back