Warp2Search in trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperCheetah

It seems that one of my favorite websites for getting beta drivers and all the newest tech info. might be going under, along with their entire network of sites by TechConnect. That is not good at all, so their asking for donations from some of the more frequent visitors. If I wasn't a poor college student I might could spare some cash, but every dollar is useful to me. Anyway here is a link explaining there situation:

http://www.warp2search.net/article.php?sid=3767

Just thought some of you guys might want to know about this. :)

Aww man... Thanks for the update. I really hope they pull this off. Good news/content sites are dropping like flies ever since the .com bombed.

Phew... Thank goodness it's not a huge amount! :)

As far as I'm concerned a Website is like any other business.
No matter how much I might like a local store I'm not going to cough up money to bail them out of problems they got themselves into.

Least that's it as far as I'm concerned (Guess I'm like this from my job ;)).

If anyone's interested in supporting a Website like use, or techconnect, whatever then click on their ads.

If they have to resort to donations then they'll be closing up soon anyway. Look at stomped for example, where did the charity get them? No-where, just delayed it.

As a site owner myself, I understand what's the situation Warp2 guys are going through.

I don't think the problem is fault of warp2 guys, but techconnect's as they offered their affiliates unlimited bandwidth (or something similar) to host files, sure those sites' traffic rocketed but techconnect never got to see a return of their investment, as advertising money is scarce and bandwidth costs a lot of money.

I do not totally agree with thomas, he does make a point if we focus on techconnect's business... but warp2 guys were offering free content to people and that gives them the right to ask for contribution, then of course, donations are up to visitors that decide if it's all worth it or not.

In the other hand, if warp2search would have got serious, they would have realized that "free unlimited hosting" wonder doesn't last forever, that's where their fault is. Established sites like 3DS have solid bases... we have been hit by the crisis, for sure, but that's a completely different thing.

In the other hand, if warp2search would have got serious, they would have realized that "free unlimited hosting" wonder doesn't last forever, that's where their fault is. Established sites like ours have solid bases... we have been hit by the crisis, for sure, but that's a completely different thing.

Coming from a dot com bombed out company myself, IMO they're treating techconnect as their VC; and you know what happens after VC "funding" goes flat. This is exactly what they're facing now. VC "funding" has gone flat and they're on a prowl to look for new funding. A rather sad thing to do at this point of time as times are not so forgiving.

BTW, out of curiosity, how is 3DSpotlight funded?

Originally posted by 3DS Julio
I don't think the problem is fault of warp2 guys, but techconnect's as they offered their affiliates unlimited bandwidth (or something similar) to host files, sure those sites' traffic rocketed but techconnect never got to saw a return of their investment, as advertising money is scarce and bandwidth costs a lot of money.

In the other hand, if warp2search would have got serious, they would have realized that "free unlimited hosting" wonder doesn't last forever, that's where their fault is. Established sites like ours have solid bases... we have been hit by the crisis, for sure, but that's a completely different thing.

Very well put as always Julio. I still have a hard time believing that Warp doesn't have or can't get adequate amounts of funding. I know tons of people go there every day to see about updates and whatnot. You figure that some advertisers would be interested in funding this site. I guess the dot com business is not what it used to be...

Anyways, my best wishes to the warp guys as well.

Actually, don't think W2S guys are lying, I think they were just promised a share of advertising revenues... (not exactly what I would recommend to accept).

Oh, and BTW 3DS relies 100% on advertising money. How have we managed to survive you ask? First of all, I did have some savings from the good months of advertising, second, we don't use the money on ourselves but the site expenses and last but not least, the quality of our audience has helped to get us some real sponsors.

Oh, and BTW 3DS relies 100% on advertising money. How have we managed to survive you ask? First of all, I did have some savings from the good months of advertising, second, we don't use the money on ourselves but the site expenses and last but not least, the quality of our audience has helped to get us some real sponsors.

Thanks for the insight Julio! So what they say about online advertising is not quite right. Sites can still depend on it :D

Originally posted by 3DS Julio
Actually, don't think W2S guys are lying, I think they were just promised a share of advertising revenues... (not exactly what I would recommend to accept).

I wasn't suggesting they were lying. I'm just saying that a site with that much popularity should have pretty good sponsors IMO. I guess their business ethics weren't exactly the best as you have pointed out.

That's really cool that you guys reply solely on advertising. I guess it really shows the quality of 3DS and its members. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back