Watch a MacBook Pro pumping out smoke after it exploded during "normal use"

midian182

Staff member
Recap: While we still hear the occasional report of smartphones catching fire due to faulty lithium-ion batteries, the same incidents occurring in laptops are rare. But they do sometimes happen, as one MacBook Pro owner who videoed his device emitting plumes of smoke will testify.

White Panda, a music producer/DJ, tweeted a video showing his MacBook Pro belching smoke and damaging the wooden floorboards of his home. He says the incident occurred during “normal use” while the laptop was plugged in (using an Apple charger) and on his lap. It “suddenly started to spew smoke out both sides,” at which point he “placed it on the floor where it popped, the smoke increased, and it caught fire,” setting off the house’s smoke and CO alarms. He was able to remove it to the porch using gloves.

Once the MacBook Pro was cool enough to pick up, it was taken to the local Apple Store where staff said nothing could be done until it had spent 24 hours in a fireproof safe, after which time they would call with a plan.

White Panda writes that he never received a callback, so he contacted the store. It said his case had been “escalated,” and that it would be five days before he’d hear back about the results of the investigation into the fire.

In the past, we’ve heard of iPhones, iPads, e-cigarettes, headphones, and a certain Note 7 catching fire, but MacBook explosions appear to be exceedingly rare, especially given the number of devices that are out there. So while this looks to be an isolated case, that’s unlikely to be any consolation to White Panda, who may have to take an enforced break from producing music for a few days.

Permalink to story.

I personally don't want to attack smartphone companies for Lithium Ion batteries when I know that they were most likely produced in China - with its poor quality control.

The Galaxy Note 7, however, draws my ire because its failure wasn't due to the battery (alone). Its failure was due to poor manufacturing.

Apple has very high quality control, so when something like this happens, I am most certain it's a defect from the manufacturer rather than poor design.

When you use a laptop on a bed or rug, it is likely to overheat. I wonder if that's what happened here, because I see a rug in the picture.

The only thing I’d like to know is what generation is this? Late retina unibody or new ultra thin?

I hope that bucket of water was just sitting there. The LAST thing you want to pour on a LiOn battery is water.

“My MacBook Pro exploded today during normal use. No injuries, luckily. Some damage to the house. Could have been worse - good thing I wasn’t on a plane.“

And this is why you shouldn’t play metro exodus on a macbook pro

I personally don't want to attack smartphone companies for Lithium Ion batteries when I know that they were most likely produced in China - with its poor quality control.

The Galaxy Note 7, however, draws my ire because its failure wasn't due to the battery (alone). Its failure was due to poor manufacturing.

Apple has very high quality control, so when something like this happens, I am most certain it's a defect from the manufacturer rather than poor design.

Not really, MacBook butterfly switch Keyboard failures, heat ungluing the supposed unibody chassis of previous models, heatsinks below the engineering threshold of the chips TDP, desoldered blown ICs, iPhone bendgate, You're holding it wrong Iphone antennae design, iPad bendgate, iPhone batteries and underclocking previous gen phones, iPhone no heatsink on the broadcom touch control chips causing them to warp from the PCB leaving the gray bar digitizer useless, fragile iPhone glass that breaks at a 1 foot drop, Vesa iMac mount breaking on installation, no filters on intakes for AIOs leading to overheating and static shorting out the power supply within the unit.......

Did I get everything or a fraction of it? Build quality, engineering, and supposed Apple standards were always garbage. This kind of stuff is bound to happen, it does and just goes unreported as people don't want to damage the Icraze philosophy of the overarching public as people ussually get blamed for using the product wrong.

Not really, MacBook butterfly switch Keyboard failures, heat ungluing the supposed unibody chassis of previous models, heatsinks below the engineering threshold of the chips TDP, desoldered blown ICs, iPhone bendgate, You're holding it wrong Iphone antennae design, iPad bendgate, iPhone batteries and underclocking previous gen phones, iPhone no heatsink on the broadcom touch control chips causing them to warp from the PCB leaving the gray bar digitizer useless, fragile iPhone glass that breaks at a 1 foot drop, Vesa iMac mount breaking on installation, no filters on intakes for AIOs leading to overheating and static shorting out the power supply within the unit.......

Did I get everything or a fraction of it? Build quality, engineering, and supposed Apple standards were always garbage. This kind of stuff is bound to happen, it does and just goes unreported as people don't want to damage the Icraze philosophy of the overarching public as people ussually get blamed for using the product wrong.

And the iPhone 11 will still outperform the Galaxy Fold.

And the iPhone 11 will still outperform the Galaxy Fold.
Next up, a discussion of the rising cost of rice in China.

Well lets help MS give a final push to throw down apple from the computer industry. :/
In all my years I have never heard mac's anything doing something that extreme.
Anyone know what core components apple rely on to make their computers?

Maybe the laptop suffered an "acute bad music overdose". How about "constantly recurring one note in the bass lithium reflux disease"?

You'll see, when AIs become sentient enough to be diagnosed with mental health issues, the WHO will take my side on this.

Back