Water Spill with Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingnut13

Hello everyone, i have a laptop that sucked up some water through the bottom. Not sure how much got up in there, but now there is no power. No power with just battery or just AC. Push the power button and nothing happens. I removed the Ram Hard drive and battery and let sit for a few days and still nothing. Did the motherboard just fry or possibly the CPU? Its a HP Omnibook xe4600. Thank You.

not even the bios came on. nothing. flatline. to me that says, fried mobo. that thing is dead mate. if i were you, i'd get a new mobo and see if the other parts are still working. and if you can't determine that, or do it easily, then ask a professional to test the processor and the graphics chip and other parts. if they still work, you can save some money and just get a new mobo hopefully. otherwise...you're kinda screwed.

by the way...if you can, try to avoid hp. they are seriously going down in terms of quality and warranty support. gateway, lenovo, acer, and a few other brands are now the way to go.

but that's a side note...yeah...get a new motherboard first. sorry about that...not exactly a very pleasant thing to have happen to you, let alone to have someone tell you what you feared most....i wish you the best.

wingnut13 said:
Hello everyone, i have a laptop that sucked up some water through the bottom. Not sure how much got up in there, but now there is no power. No power with just battery or just AC. Push the power button and nothing happens. I removed the Ram Hard drive and battery and let sit for a few days and still nothing. Did the motherboard just fry or possibly the CPU? Its a HP Omnibook xe4600. Thank You.

If you need to get a new laptop get an IBM Thinkpad R60 because it has the same specifications of a t60 just cheaper because it has a plastic case.And the Thinkpad Series can withstand spills and be submerged.http://youtube.com/watch?v=czCXonIIfoY
That one shows him pouring water on it and that it is still on.And http://www.pc.ibm.com/europe/engineered/en/keyboard.html?europe&cc=europe

old skool trick that might salvage the 'pooter.

Get some rubbing alcohol- as pure to 100% as possible. Then
SOAK the laptop in it. The alcohol will DRAW water out of the components.

Then use a hair dryer on LOW to DRY the parts.

apply power Only after everything is COMPLETELY dry. You have a 60% chance of recovering your equipment.

This trick also works on water damaged cell phones. (like dropped in a toilet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back