Watercooling Setup Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeps1987

Hey guys, im looking to buy a Thermaltake Kandolf LCS Case iv just been planning how the water cooling will work, and iv come up with this, will this work with my built-in water cooled case?
theses are the specs from the Thermaltake website

Liquid Cooling System
All-in-one waterblock : For Intel BTX platform, P4 775 and AMD K8
Performance radiator :
(A) Dimension of radiator : H 407 x W 120 x D 35 mm
(B) Three 1300RPM 120mm fans
P500 liquid pump : Power DC 12V liquid pump (500L/hr)

Reservoir : Contains 350 c.c. of liquid capacity, easy to refill
Water tube : Transparent UV tube (3/8”) & industrial-grade rubber tube.

It will cool
ASUS Blitz Extream Edition Northbridge
Core 2 Duo E6850
X2 ATI Radeon X1900 XTX Crossfire Setup

Will the pump be powerful enough and will the radiator be able to cool down the water too a decent temp?

Excuse the drawing lol, MS Paint skills not the best

thanks

Attachments

• Setup.JPG
    Setup.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 15
300lph is pretty good, you should have no problems with that. My pump is only 150lph and does a good enough job, mind you, i havent finished "adapting" it yet so it isnt in my system at the mo. During testing it kept my cpu to a nice 34 to 38 c.

Im in the process of designing and building my own resevoir at the mo.

is using a spliter 'Y' the best way to go about it?
wont i get a return in water, seeing as its gonna be 2 pipes going into one, wont some of it go back the way it came?

that website showed my first setup idea but i don't think it would be too efficient, as it has to cool, a x1900 xtx crossfire kit, which gets really hot, plus it never took into account the northbridge, so overall i don't think it would be that efficient.

whats a 'T-Line'?

Setup.jpg

Setup2.jpg

Setup3.jpg

You are asking your radiator and pump to do an awful lot of work with all those heat sources you have. The first picture I "reworked" gives peference to your CPU. You overall temps are still going to be high (for a water system) because the flow is only 300 LPH (roughly 80 GPH) and you'll have at least 300 watts of power being absorbed by the cooling system. That pump is rated at 300LPH without any back pressure. With all the waterblocks (backpressure) you'll have attached to it, you will not get much coolant flow through your system unless the pump has a bunch more head pressure than I give it credit for. Overall the system will be a little cooler and much quieter than an air cooled system.

The second picture doubles your head pressure without major modifications. Overall your temps will be much lower and the system much quieter than an air cooled system.

The third picture is for extreme overclocking and doesn't use any Thermaltake waterblocks or radiators. It will keep all the water cooled items at very close to ambient temperature and will not be cost effective on a heat degree drop per dollar spent basis.

A T line is usually a tube with a removable plug that is routed off of a "T" fitting to the lower end of the case so you can easily drain cooling fluid out of the cooling system.

Cinders said:
You overall temps are still going to be high (for a water system) because the flow is only 300 LPH (roughly 80 GPH) and you'll have at least 300 watts of power being absorbed by the cooling system. That pump is rated at 300LPH without any back pressure.

i thought the pump was rated at 500 LPH?

Liquid Cooling System
All-in-one waterblock : For Intel BTX platform, P4 775 and AMD K8
Performance radiator :
(A) Dimension of radiator : H 407 x W 120 x D 35 mm
(B) Three 1300RPM 120mm fans
P500 liquid pump : Power DC 12V liquid pump (500L/hr)
Reservoir : Contains 350 c.c. of liquid capacity, easy to refill
Water tube : Transparent UV tube (3/8”) & industrial-grade rubber tube.

The third option is not one ill be going for, as ill have to mod my case and its gonna cost alot.
The second option is more feasible for me, what if i just buy one powerful pump and use that instead of my Thermaltake one?

Or i could just use the water cooling to cool both my GPU's and Northbridge, and put a decent HSF on the CPU?

what do you think?

btw thanks for the advice and drawings Cinders

Oops sorry about the 300LPH. I somehow absorbed that number through the nether. Two pumps would be a good idea if you really want to lower the temps for your system and overclock. It you're not going to overclock then you don't need an additional pump. While overclocking it is very important to move a bunch of water through the system and two pumps will allow you to increase the head pressure and move more water.

If you just wanted to quiet your pair of X1900XTX with the cooling system, I could understand that. I've had a single X1900XTX and it was a little screamer at times.

I'd play with what you have and see what configuration you prefer. If you can get the processor and the two video cards in the loop with good temps, then I'd just forgo the northbridge block and do that.

How much is the case going to set you back?

so my 500 LPH pump still wont be good enough for my original setup idea?
yeah the graphics cards are noisy, the main reason i wanted liquid cooling, i don't mind cooling the processor with a decent HSF.

the case is gonna be around £170 + delivery
its the best rated water cooled case i could find with a decent budget, plus it looks cool lol

what temps should i be hoping to get for the GPU's and CPU via water cooling?

right now the X1900 XTX stock cooled, idles at 60*C and maxes out at 100*C, not been higher, but still, i don't like that number

My current AMD Athlon X2 4200+ stock cooled, idles at 50*C and when i was running 3D Marks today i saw it hit 75*C so anything lower than that for the Core 2 Duo, and ill be happy.

btw guys this is linked to my other forum post located here.
have a read to understand what I'm planning and get the full picture :)
any suggestions and comments welcome

thanks again Cinders for helping me out

deeps1987 said:
so my 500 LPH pump still wont be good enough for my original setup idea?
yeah the graphics cards are noisy, the main reason i wanted liquid cooling, i don't mind cooling the processor with a decent HSF.

the case is gonna be around £170 + delivery
its the best rated water cooled case i could find with a decent budget, plus it looks cool lol

what temps should i be hoping to get for the GPU's and CPU via water cooling?

right now the X1900 XTX stock cooled, idles at 60*C and maxes out at 100*C, not been higher, but still, i don't like that number

My current AMD Athlon X2 4200+ stock cooled, idles at 50*C and when i was running 3D Marks today i saw it hit 75*C so anything lower than that for the Core 2 Duo, and ill be happy.

btw guys this is linked to my other forum post located here.
have a read to understand what I'm planning and get the full picture :)
any suggestions and comments welcome

thanks again Cinders for helping me out

I'd like to see upper 20's to lower 30's at idle and upper 30's to mid 40's full on for the CPU. The video cards should run idle in the mid 30's to lower 40's and full on around the upper 50's to mid 60's or so.

You should test the pump with your various water blocks. I'd think it would be enough for just the video blocks alone. At least you'd get rid of that turbine whine and have much cooler video cards too.

I have a pump that outputs roughtly 800 LPH and it will just cool my CPU. I plan to overclock my FX-60 and I expect to see lower 20's at idle and mid 30' at full on.

whats wrong with using the 500 LPH pump for everything on my system? will the water circulate to slowly and be to hot?

what if i just buy a really powerful pump, then can i cool the CPU,GPU's and Northbridge?

what about a D5 pump? it says its 1500 LPH, will that be good enough?

You'd have to test the pump with your computer running and waterblocks in place to really know if it could handle the job. (In other words, I'm not sure, or I don't know.) If you do buy an aftermarket pump make sure that the intake and outlet ports are the same size as the tubing in your cooling system. Mismatched sizes can be a pain in the tush. The usual sizes are 6mm, 9mm and 12mm or 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2".

The specs on the D5 are listed at 24 volts. Unless you purchase a 24 volt power source or mod your PSU (not hard really) your D5 (if you choose that aftermarket pump) will run at 12 volts. Running the pump at 12 volts will drastically change its specs.

GPU Water Blocks

hey, both my Danger Den Tyee blocks have arrived

DSC00451.jpg

one is crossfire prepared (Left), the other isn't (Right), and seeing as I'm having a crossfire configuration, what does this mean? will they both still work?

can i crossfire configure the other one? or just use them both as they are?

thanks

I'm going to guess and say you'd only need to prep the second card for crossfire if you where going to add a third video card. The Crossfire prep seems to be a couple of threaded holes on top of the block for two nipples?

What is the crossfire prep?

i agree, the crossfire prep only seems to have a different bolt on the top of the block.

i have no idea what difference it makes, i was hoping someone could help me.

anyways the blocks had a lot off oxidisation on the button, so i used a 12 micron wet and dry paper to get it off, and got it as smooth as possible, was this the right thing to do?
my dad says i did it all wrong, baring in mind he has no experience of water cooling or anything related. he said the block was milled perfectly flat, and me using wet and dry paper on it would leave an un-even surface, is this true? it looks flat, i wet and dry'd it, in a full fluid sweep motion.

Both Looked like this at first
IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

then
IMG_0002.jpg

then
IMG_0007.jpg

do i have to polish it before i put it on my GPU?

MicroUnC said:
10563.jpg

Thermaltake VE2000SWA Armor LCS Aluminium Tower Case

yes i know about that case, but it only has a dual radiator, i do prefer that one, it looks better, but i need a big radiator, so im going for the Thermaltake Kandolf LCS

Just guessing but I think the water should circulate through the waterblocks. I are genius! And the water should circulate in one of two possible ways. Again I are genius!! I draw pictures now.

Well I drew this and stopped because I reckon this is the way it should be and the other way didn't require a crossfire preped card.
crossfire.jpg

Cinders said:
Just guessing but I think the water should circulate through the waterblocks. I are genius! And the water should circulate in one of two possible ways. Again I are genius!! I draw pictures now.

lol right..... what are you talking about? i know the water flows through the waterblock

deeps1987 said:
yes i know about that case, but it only has a dual radiator, i do prefer that one, it looks better, but i need a big radiator, so im going for the Thermaltake Kandolf LCS

Believe me your stock CPU fan will do the job, unless u will overclock your system.

The picture I drew is a top view of your crossfire waterblock setup. You'll probably need to supply an extra set of nipples for the crossfire prepared waterblock so you can attach the waterblock for the second card to it. I draw better picture now.

closeup.jpg

The green stuff is cooling fluid.

according to the Danger Den website, its supposed to look like this

Crossfire.jpg

but how will i make my non-crossfire prep block, into a crossfire prep block.
from what i can tell, the crossfire block is drilled all the way through, through the top acrylic, hence the need for the sealed bolt on the top.
if i do that, surely it will leak?

both my blocks have the plugs facing in the same direction, so I'm sure i can still make them work by just using a extra bit of tubing to connect the two, obviously it wont be as neat as this set-up, but i dont mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back