Web hosting / name server assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rastaman

iam currently getting my hands wet on web hosting stuff and need some assistance.

i have server 03 running iis and setup with dns etc. i registered a domain name with a 3rd party registration company. I have already created a lookup zone in dns for the newly registerd domain name. The server was originally setup as a DC with a local domain name (mydomain.local) thus my full server name at the moment is "servername.mydomain.local".

i want to move my newly registered domain name to my local server. in order to do this i assume i need to change the current name server to my local server which is going to be hosting these sites. My dilemma is what name to use for the name server since my current domain name for the server is a .local domain

I am able to access the webpages created from within my network since i have already created the zone in dns and the wrkstn are using that server as their DNS. Now the hurdle is to determine what server name to use for the nameserver in order to move the newly registerd domain mane unto my local server.

All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

so basically i dont need a valid domain??? can i just use my local domain name then eg change the name server of the newly registered domain with godaddy to server.mydomain.local or does it need to be a .com, .net etc

I think it will have to be .com or .net to have it where other people can get to it, as I think that is what u are wanting to do. but I am the least of an expert in something like this.

the network will flow like this:

assume your new public domain is MYDOMAIN.COM.

Your ISP (or web hosting service) will need that name and the public IP address
assigned to it.

Your ISP DNS will then forward xxx.MYDOMAIN.com/yyy... requestes to your
public IP address.

ON THAT SYSTEM, you need to have your public DNS server running.
It can then map the xxx to some service withing a DMZ,
to a webserver on a nearby system or
forward it into your D.C. environment (not a good idea!)

thanks for the reply jo. i currently dont have a static IP assigned since this is all in a virtual environment, my question then is that in order to mover the newly registed domain from the registrars free parking over to my server will a simple ip address be ok or will i need a FQDN.

i assume if i used a free service like DYNDNS to keep track of all my dynamic ip changes and use the domain name obtained from them to forward all the request to my local server from where it is currently parked it should work (i think correct me if iam wrong)

my other question them will be if this were a live/ real scenario i would have had to do is assign the newdomain.com" a static ip address on a separate NIC which i will forward to my isp correct?

attached is the image of where iam stuck (nameserver field on registrars website)

rastaman said:
thanks for the reply jo. i currently dont have a static IP assigned since this is all in a virtual environment, my question then is that in order to mover the newly registed domain from the registrars free parking over to my server will a simple ip address be ok or will i need a FQDN.
NORMALLY, we get a static ip address when we register the domain --
can't have one w/o the other. This information should have been sent to you with
the fullfillment information. If not, use NSLOOKUP $yourDomain.com to find it.
YES, the FQDN is required.

>i currently dont have a static IP
this is an issue for your ISP connection -- you're telling me you have not purchased
a webhosting solution and want to run from your ISP connection;
PLEASE VERIFY your eula from your ISP -- most will not allow this due to traffic considerations.

i assume if i used a free service like DYNDNS to keep track of all my dynamic ip changes and use the domain name obtained from them to forward all the request to my local server from where it is currently parked it should work (i think correct me if iam wrong)
all correct -- assuming you can port forward from your router to your
lan system address.
my other question them will be if this were a live/ real scenario i would have had to do is assign the newdomain.com" a static ip address on a separate NIC which i will forward to my isp correct?
yes, but there's no forward to your ISP. When you have dual NICs,
ONE is your default route and the other is a specific route.
The static ip for $yourdomain.com will be config'd on the second nic
and your webserver will be config'd to ONLY listen on that ip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back