Web script to read Minidumps. Try it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Hello, I have written a simple PHP web script to read your minidump (*.dmp) files and output using the DUMPCHK program from Microsoft's debug tools.

Go to:
http://www.zacksdomain.com/?page=tools&t=bugcheck

Upload a DMP file, it only takes files less then 200Kb. Once it is uploaded, you can click on the file name to get the output from dumpchk.

Right now the script is in beta. One issue is that if you happen to upload a dmp file with the same name as another, it will overwrite it. I have some additional stuff to change. But let me know if you find this idea usefull at all, and what I could do to improve it for regular use.

Thank you.

I was thinking about doing a cycle, such as deleting dumps every 10 minutes or so?
I can easily add a delete button, but not sure if it would be abused.

Still have to remove the problem of new dumps replacing old ones. Because 2 people may upload a dump with the same name near the same time, and mix them up.

But I've gone and deleted the dumps again, while testing. I'll go ahead and add a delete button.

Thanks for your comments. Are their any other minidump command line programs I could do? Or is dumpchk the main one?

Thanks mate.

I think it`s fine as it is. I see what you mean about the delete button being abused. Maybe like you say, a time of ten minutes or so is the answer.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks, I had hoped it would be useful.

Right now it is hosted on my own server, and I can't guarantee 100% uptime, but if it gets popular, I'll try to find a better host for it.

vigilante i would be very happy if u want to share the code with me,

i can host the script in my DotnetNuke based Turkish web site and add your name to the Devoloper section of the section

please i need this help more than u could imagine

at least i would like to see always online ur site

The trick is with this script, you need these things:

) PHP 5
) Ability to upload files to server. This is because it has to upload users files to the server.
) PHP access to run external applications, because PHP needs to launch the Microsoft bugcheck utility in order to read this output and display it on the web.

If your server host doesn't allow running local apps like the bugcheck program, you won't be able to use it. On my personal server, of course, I can have my apps do whatever I want.

I'm not 100% sure, but my webhost may be able to cope with that. It's linux/apache based.

let me know if you want to try, and I'll create a small ftp account for you, depending on the disk quota you'd need.

I'm sure someone can convert it to ASP, it is not a complext script.

The problem lies in the fact that it has to run bugcheck.exe which is an external application, and most ALL web hosts would disallow running external executables due to huge security risks.

I'll work on publishing the code, in the background there is the regular microsoft debug tools folder, and the symbols folder.

a question is this script can handle 92 kb sized minidumps

when i try all i get is "memory corruption" i have doubts please clear me if im wrong with something.. tx

I'm pretty sure I put a large limit on file size, maybe 2mb or so. Also the script only allows file with the DMP extension.

Then there is the fact that just maybe the dump is corrupt somehow?

Note that our ISP over here just went down a night or two ago, and took me off for about a day, because I got a new IP address when it came back up and I had to change my DNS.

You should be able to try again now, or post your minidump here and I'll see what results I get from a different computer. I have just used the script yesterday for some 5 or 6 minidumps.

dump files attached tx for the help :wave:

Edit : by the way i noticed that his configuration are

amd athlon 3000+ 939
abit an-8
ati 256 mb x600 pro
2 x 512 ddr 400 C L 3 kingston ram
200 sata
300 sata
360 watt psu
And Operating System is XP PRO XP2

i have doubts about PSU is weak to handle this system

waiting for ur analys

All your minidumps crash at ntkrnlpa.exe. This is your Windows nt kernel and system file. They all have a bugcheck of 9C.

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Howard, i tried analiz this dumps firstly on my Host machine Windows XP PRO SP2 but installed application Daemon Tools warned me ages ago to not to use debugging while DTools installed.. So i installed Vmware XP PRO SP2 Guest OS
then analiz was successfull i got the same results as urs

bugcheck is 9C

is it possible to guess which hardware to cause this error with only a little knowledge?

Start with your Ram. try running with just one stick. Try using a different dim slot. Try down clocking your ram.

Make sure your ram is compatible with your mobo.

If none of that helps. Try a different psu. Then after that your guess is as good as mine.

howard, did you use my script to read those? lol

Incidentally, they did work when I tried them from here, so not sure what your error was about.

I'm working on putting together a how-to on installing this script, probably post it here tomorrow, so anybody who wants to give it a go on their own server is welcome.

Also Greenflash, if you don't have RAM to swap, run memtest86 on it for a few hours.

cheers

its great to hear that vigilante.im supporting Turkish users in my country that sometimes good to use ur script :)

Ok guys, it's coming soon.

Howard, the reason I asked is because I want to know if there is another debug tool I should add to the script, besides the bugcheck. Is windbg also a console program? Cause I could display the output from that as well.
If I do add windbg to the script, I'll post the code after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back