Web Server Behind Router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Thanks to every1 who help me for the last prob. This time, I want to host my own web space. I have a domain and it points to my ip, this is not a prob. The problem is that when u type the web address, it brings up my router's web server/config util. I've set the router up to forward port 80 to 192.168.1.4 (web server) and I have configured IIS on the web server to show my test page. The web server works on the LAN and I know the problem is with the router. I have a D-Link 504T modem router, and I'm really not sure what the problem is. There are no virtual server settings on the router, there is only a port forwarding option.

Big-Z

Are you testing it from outside your lan?

Some routers, especially those with firewall capabilities don't traffic that exits the router for something behind it. I haven't had a chance to take a look at your router though.

Are you forwarding TCP and UDP to your internal web server? If the traffic being forwarded is a protocol you aren't forwarding all traffic will stop at the router.

Also, if you are getting the config page for your router on your outside interface you may want to fix that before you publish a server to the outside.

Hope this helps.

As HoopaJoop said, if your external IP/hostname brings up your router configuration then you have a serious security issue. Disable the external management of the router immediately! Once you have done that your port forwarding should start working too.

Yeah, I normally like to try and figure something out, but becuase of the security issue I thought it best to get sorted right away. I'm not sure if I can disable the external config.

The only time I get this prob is when I try to connect from outside the LAN. The web server works from inside the LAN.

Big-Z said:
Also, if anyone can suggest how to disable config util on router that would be cool

On the 'Tools' tab of the 'Admin' screen disable "Remote Web Management" and "Remote Telnet Management".

It's in the manual. Check it out here.

hope this helps.

If you are hosting your own server
physical box in front of you
got a dsl or cable setup
check to see if they allow port 80 cut through
personnal accounts for sure big no
who ever you signed up with (manage your domain name)
should have a place to put your dns that your isp gave you
check in router (status)
like mine m7l.com points to my ip 67.172.31.251
still can't get the connect add ( :8500/ )
this is for my open port you could use other numbers like 8080
I changed the www. to workstation1 plus others ebay foo file

There has been a development. Thanks to all who have replied, unfortunately, it just kinda resolved itself. Now, people accessing the site externally get my web page (hooray!). But, I can only access it through the LAN as when I type the external IP I get the router screen (need to flush the cache or summin and don't know how to do it if it aint deleting all my cookies or temp inet files)

For everyone's info, remote management was turned off originally, even when external access attempts brought up the router screen. So I don't really know what was going on. It just sorted itself out... :suspiciou

Thanks to all who replied

Big-Z

You probably have a stupid router that cannot handle loopback connections properly.

You probably have a stupid router that cannot handle loopback connections properly.
You should be able to see your own webpage if you use your ISP's web proxy.

Hi people i have the same problem as this chap with the same router. I here its normal and have to use a proxy server. It works fine for outside my lan, but i need to test everything works when i change stuff. Any chance i can get his email or admin forward a message so i can chat to him? i left him a private message but he's only posted 22 in the last 6 months.

Thankyou

Work around here.

Hi,

I had the same prob with my lame Actiontec 1524,.. no loopback.

Two ways I worked around,.. to the server and make sure it is working I did these two things:

1. You can use Googles Translate page,.. it worked for me,. just to let me know the server was functioning. It is kinda like viewing the server on the other side of the router. Just put your url in the field and check it out..

http://www.google.com/language_tools

2. I edited my hosts file. You can do this in windows or linux,. only thing is that you dont know if your dns goes down.. but it is a good way to check the server on the dark side of the router :) Aside from phisically checking from another source. Providing you have your dns setup correctly, server running, port forwarding setup (port 80 forwarded to the machine ip that is serving, via the router) you can do this:

Linux:
emacs /etc/hosts

(add your server/the ip is the servers ip)
192.168.x.x yourdomain.com
192.168.x.x www.yourdomain.com

Windows: (do a search for a howto)

I hope this helps.

Anyone having the same problem should start a new thread as each situation can have tons of variables...
And Welcome Aboard.

patio. :cool:

Skarr's post was absolutely relevant. As he said, routers being unable to do loopback connections are pretty common and it is the first thing to check when someone can't connect to their own servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back