Webcam problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I just recently bought a hp dv9000z laptop. It was preinstalled with windows vista, and for reasons that many know.. I downgraded to winxp. The laptop has an integrated webcam, which is recognized in xp. When I use webcam software, the webcam light lights up, but the screen is black. I've tested this using various webcam softwares and the results are the same, driver is detected, cam is detected (light is on) but screen is black. However, when I use messengers.. the messengers do not detect it, the light turns on then turns off.

I've used the laptop before in vista, and the webcam works fine.
So, I'm assuming it's a driver or software issue? Maybe?

My question is just, is there any possible way of fixing this without the final result being going back to Vista?
There are webcam drivers in the hp software/drivers page for winxp, but I'm wondering if it's too out of date or something.

Anyone that can help me out here would be great.
Thanks,
ITF

I had a similar problem after downgrading to winxp. The driver for the webcam installed successfully but the webcam doesn't work. I contacted HP customer support and was told to get back to Vista. Also that the hardware only supports vista and that I cannot get any drivers from hp for that configuration.
I hope someone comes up with a solution.

Hey vvkumar,
Be happy that who ever you talked to gave you a straight answer. I contacted hp twice and twice they went around solutions.

I dug a little bit and I found something, using the hp webcam software/utility, I went to "help" and the software/driver is supported by vimicro corp.

Their site: http://www.vimicro.com/english/index.htm
I don't know if this will be any helpful.

Yea, I hope someone comes up with a solution. BTW, did you upgrade back to vista in the end, vvkumar?
Everything worked fine with the preinstall vista, but after I did a clean install of vista (before downgrading to xp) it caused msn to log off whenever a video/audio conference finishes connecting. I was just wondering if you had that problem before too. I'm assuming it's a msn bug. *shrugs*

Ah, I get that error too, but only when I use the webcam with a messenger.
Also, everything that maverick tried, I also tried and in vain. xD

It seems like their result is to install a vista driver on xp.. I will try this and reply with my result to you later.

Thanks for the link!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back