Webserver RAID problem. Urgent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

Twice in the past week our webserver has "went down". Once we realized that our webserver was down and went to check out the problem we noticed that the computer was stuck trying to boot. Right after RAID setup we got the message "Press F1 to retry boot". Upon pressing F1 the same message would appear. I then powered down the machine for a minute or two and booted back up and then was able to boot all the way into Windows 2003 Server.

We also noticed that the 2nd SCSI (out of 3) drive was flashing a fault light. Upon getting Windows 2003 back up the fault light went away and a yellow light started flashing which means the RAID is rebuilding.

We spoke to a network administrator and he said that the computer seemed to have crashed causing the 2nd SCSI drive to get "out of snyc".

This happened again this weekend but this time the 1st SCSI drive was flashing the fault light.

This is a large problem because we obviously can't have our website going down. Lots of customers use the webmail and get to that page from our main page.

I dont know a whole lot about RAID so I need some help on this one.

Suggestions?

If its hotswappable, then power down, slide all of the drives out of their bays, then slide them back in again.

If that does not work, if you look in the controller's BIOS program, you may see that there is a backup of the disk config. try restoring it.

You should have made a backup of data on this drive set in advance. If you have none, I have no sympathy.

Phant; You have to understand what my situation is here at this workplace. I can't just make backups because I know I should. I will honestly get chewed out for doing such things unless I am told to do them. Although sometimes I dont listen anyway when I know it is the right thing to do, but I have my limits of what I can do here. The owner knows nothing about computers and is afraid so I have to put up with a LOT here. Being told to not do certain things when they are without a doubt the right thing to do are one of those things.

Although my "power" increased LARGELY in the last month from what I've had in the past. I just did a lot of server maintence this morning re-doing some network wiring and APC's, drew up a network diagram the other day + reconfigured some IP's, etc.

But for now I am going to power down that computer real fast and do what you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back